Color vs B/W

Evroul

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hello I was wondering how many here use external lighting to run e.g. T54Ir-Ze-s3 in color at night. I know the 4K/T is color with enough light but do some of you prefer to run all cameras if possible in color.

I like the “better id” possibilities if stuff is in color

Rob2020

Known around here
Reaction score
I run two 5442 in color 24/7 with LED streetlights at 50 feet from the cams. I tried B/W and color and was happy with the color to include motion. The newer models I am told are quite a bit better.

Evroul

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I run two 5442 in color 24/7 with LED streetlights at 50 feet from the cams. I tried B/W and color and was happy with the color to include motion. The newer models I am told are quite a bit better.
Ok I will try to add more light so I can run color. I find it better

Evroul

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Do you have any existing light now or are you planning just supplemental light.
I have streetlights some 30 m away but it’s not sufficient I think. My plan is to add LED

Can I see your 5442’s in color at night if u have some pics that is :)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is best to have a mixture if you don't have the available light - B/W infrared to capture good clean captures and some color overview to fill in skin and clothing and car colors.

While color is obviously preferred, sometimes we have field of views that just do not have enough light and need to be in B/W with infrared.

Like many here, I use both to help ensure maximum opportunities to capture a clean image.

While infrared is great, because it is in B/W, sometimes you can get cleaner captures for like a face or something, but color determination is way off, and some colors are problematic with infrared.

So I notice this non-descript plain white truck go by so I got suspicious:

1650592124932.png

So I pull up a color camera to see what is going on and this is the truck:

1650592199688.png

Now that you know it is a Kroger truck, you can kinda see it in the B/W photo, but wow!

Now imagine if this were someone that had damage done to say a parked car hit by this vehicle and all they had were B/W cameras going, nobody would suspect this truck!

If at all possible, one should try to run some overview cameras in color - even though they clearly are not for IDENTIFY purposes, they help paint a better picture as to color and some other details that may be lost with infrared and B/W.

This perp was good so I didn't get a super clean image, but good enough for the police to recognize and ID him.

2am thief2.jpg

2 am thief.jpg

Meanwhile, this was the best image any of my neighbors could get:

1655783015998.png

But this also shows the importance of having at least one camera in color even if it produces a blurry image.

Based on the description from the B/W, they probably would have let this person in the color image go as the pants are black and the top is all black too. It must have some black material on it that made it really reflective with IR.

Most would not say this is the same person. Plus the B/W image doesn't even give much detail to the face.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I would run every camera in color if I could get enough light out there to make it work. But like most I only have a couple (3 out of 8) places I can get away with enough light to make color work

So far with only a week installed, I think the S3 5442's are great, but they still dont hold a candle to the 4K-T/X in the color at night category.

To get really good blur-free night color video takes a LOT more light than most think

Example
Doorchecker

Last edited:

Evroul

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It is best to have a mixture if you don't have the available light - B/W infrared to capture good clean captures and some color overview to fill in skin and clothing and car colors.

While color is obviously preferred, sometimes we have field of views that just do not have enough light and need to be in B/W with infrared.

Like many here, I use both to help ensure maximum opportunities to capture a clean image.

While infrared is great, because it is in B/W, sometimes you can get cleaner captures for like a face or something, but color determination is way off, and some colors are problematic with infrared.

So I notice this non-descript plain white truck go by so I got suspicious:

1650592124932.png

So I pull up a color camera to see what is going on and this is the truck:

1650592199688.png

Now that you know it is a Kroger truck, you can kinda see it in the B/W photo, but wow!

Now imagine if this were someone that had damage done to say a parked car hit by this vehicle and all they had were B/W cameras going, nobody would suspect this truck!

If at all possible, one should try to run some overview cameras in color - even though they clearly are not for IDENTIFY purposes, they help paint a better picture as to color and some other details that may be lost with infrared and B/W.

This perp was good so I didn't get a super clean image, but good enough for the police to recognize and ID him.

2am thief2.jpg

2 am thief.jpg

Meanwhile, this was the best image any of my neighbors could get:

1655783015998.png

But this also shows the importance of having at least one camera in color even if it produces a blurry image.

Based on the description from the B/W, they probably would have let this person in the color image go as the pants are black and the top is all black too. It must have some black material on it that made it really reflective with IR.

Most would not say this is the same person. Plus the B/W image doesn't even give much detail to the face.
Wow ye I see the importance when you portray it like this. Is that a 2 mp zoomed in on the guy in black and at what distance from House and with what external Lightning . Just to get an idea of how to rearrange my mix of 5442 vari s3’s and my 4K/t’s. Or … talk to Andy if that is a model I do not yet own LOL

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wow ye I see the importance when you portray it like this. Is that a 2 mp zoomed in on the guy in black and at what distance from House and with what external Lightning . Just to get an idea of how to rearrange my mix of 5442 vari s3’s and my 4K/t’s. Or … talk to Andy if that is a model I do not yet own LOL
Yep the top picture is the Z12E optically zoomed in at a distance of 85 feet.

Just 4 typical house coach lights.

Evroul

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
NOT sufficient light. My 5442 ze is set to 0-10 exp and 50 gain. I have lights under suffit and some streetlight (not yet on) some 25 m away. Guess I need way more light for this baby to see anything. iPhone did a better job LOL.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yep light is your friend if you want color.

Evroul

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That’s why I was puzzled you could see so much with yours. Would really like to see it from the angle of your neighbor ( the gorilla picture). I can’t understand it’s this “bad” when I see your setup :) And I understand if you are too private to wanna show the other way around

EDIT: Nvm for some reason I still had 0-3 exposure after I thought I hid apply to only color ‍♂.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That’s why I was puzzled you could see so much with yours. Would really like to see it from the angle of your neighbor ( the gorilla picture). I can’t understand it’s this “bad” when I see your setup :) And I understand if you are too private to wanna show the other way around
Oh that gorilla picture is the side of the house and with only a 1,000 lumen white LED flood light (cheap Amazon purchase that I really question if it is 1,000 lumen). In fact my other camera over there won't even switch to color with that light.

Evroul

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
This is my garden "left". (Forced color) I would say I need a floodlight of some kind for this to be viable
Are you running "standard here?

1707064427337.png

1707064129515.png

Evroul

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Is that his Light Saber?
Looks like a sith in that picture

1707064750059.png

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah you need some kind of light there. Probably not much though.

Who knows what that guy was carrying LOL. He had his jacket full of stuff when the police caught up with him.

Evroul

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Your setup seems really nice - And it works. Living in Denmark having to provide the police with this sort of information is kinda rare.
Thx for your feedback, I will add a small floodlight to provide with the last light.