CodeProjectAI Coral module keeps dropping the Coral USB

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I think folks are seeing that coral works well for developers but has trouble with 24/7 demands thru a USB, similar to how we have seen issues with people trying to use USB storage for surveillance cameras.

dasdasdas

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I think folks are seeing that coral works well for developers but has trouble with 24/7 demands thru a USB, similar to how we have seen issues with people trying to use USB storage for surveillance cameras.
USB goes dormant when the device is idle, I turn that off in power profile.

djmadfx

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
USB goes dormant when the device is idle, I turn that off in power profile.
I've had the USB selective suspend setting set to disable within the power plan settings and experience this issue.

CCTVCam

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't think it's implemented very well. I have the Dual Edge m.2 version and have abandoned it. Mainly because perfomance is more or less the same as the cpu and in certain cirumstances, requests become queued and discarded. Never seen that with the CPU. I still have the Edge Board and M.2 adapter in the hope they might get it sorted and working well, but for now I've reverted to CPU.

Another issue I have with CPAI / BI (not sure which is the culprit), get an issue, and uninstalling previous versions or even installing a new version on top, even if later doesn't solve the issue. It's as if rogue bios entries persist (I don't know if that is the case). However, everytime I've had a major issue with a build that's stopped CPAI working properly, I have to reinstall everything ie WINDOWS + CPAI + BI. Even Windows DISM doesn't seem to correctthe issue. I really wish they'd get on top of this as re-installing Windows + BI + CPAI + reconifguring everything from scratch is not my idea of fun.

dasdasdas

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I don't think it's implemented very well. I have the Dual Edge m.2 version and have abandoned it. Mainly because perfomance is more or less the same as the cpu and in certain cirumstances, requests become queued and discarded. Never seen that with the CPU. I still have the Edge Board and M.2 adapter in the hope they might get it sorted and working well, but for now I've reverted to CPU.

Another issue I have with CPAI / BI (not sure which is the culprit), get an issue, and uninstalling previous versions or even installing a new version on top, even if later doesn't solve the issue. It's as if rogue bios entries persist (I don't know if that is the case). However, everytime I've had a major issue with a build that's stopped CPAI working properly, I have to reinstall everything ie WINDOWS + CPAI + BI. Even Windows DISM doesn't seem to correctthe issue. I really wish they'd get on top of this as re-installing Windows + BI + CPAI + reconifguring everything from scratch is not my idea of fun.
Sounds terrible.
I read that BI is stable for some but that's not my experience. What's the alternative? Hardware NVR? More expensive cameras with onboard AI and email notification?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds terrible.
I read that BI is stable for some but that's not my experience. What's the alternative? Hardware NVR? More expensive cameras with onboard AI and email notification?

Depending on your needs and the camera you buy determines if you need the BI AI.

The camera AI is useful to many people, but BI has way more motion setting granularity than the cameras, and some people need that additional detail, especially if wanting AI for more than a car or person. For folks that want AI and alerts on animals or specifically a UPS truck then they need the additional AI that comes from CodeProject. An NVR doesn't have that capability.

There isn't really a best practice because every field of view is different and use case and needs are different.

To many here, BI motion without AI is more than adequate for what they do.

To many here, camera AI is more than adequate for what they do.

To many here, using the BI AI adds additional functionality that the above alone can not do.

It comes down to testing with each field of view and which one gives you the most consistent results.

While some of that third party stuff is cool like tagging was it a dog or a bear, I don't need all that fancy stuff. If my camera triggers BI to tag an alert for human or vehicle and BI can accomplish what I need by way of a text or email or push or whatever, that is sufficient for my needs. I just want to be alerted if a person or vehicle is on my property and the camera AI does a fine job with that.

However, I do run BI AI on one camera so that it knocks out headlight shine so that the alert image includes the vehicle. The camera AI will trigger for a car, but the alert image was always just the headlights.

The true test....I have found the AI of the cameras to work even in a freakin blizzard....imagine how much the CPU would be maxing out sending all the snow pictures for analysis to CodeProject LOL. My non-AI cams in BI were triggering all night. This picture was ran through Deepstack (without the IVS or red lines on it) and it failed to recognize a person in the picture, but the camera AI did. This pic says it all and the video had the red box over it even in complete white out on the screen:

1679354257954.png

See this thread on how using just the camera AI may be sufficient for your needs:

Who uses Dahua AI capable cameras? Reliable AI for triggering events? Pro's/con's?

dasdasdas

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
The true test....I have found the AI of the cameras to work even in a freakin blizzard....imagine how much the CPU would be maxing out sending all the snow pictures for analysis to CodeProject LOL. My non-AI cams in BI were triggering all night. This picture was ran through Deepstack (without the IVS or red lines on it) and it failed to recognize a person in the picture, but the camera AI did. This pic says it all and the video had the red box over it even in complete white out on the screen:
That's super amazing! What hardware is that?
Back when I was building drones I came across this super cheap Chinese IC that had analog IO, video processing and a few thousands neurons that could run concurrently at 20fps.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is simply the AI built into Dahua cameras and I have BI pull the trigger from the camera to do the alerts.

dasdasdas

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That is simply the AI built into Dahua cameras and I have BI pull the trigger from the camera to do the alerts.
"do the alerts" meaning?
So Dahua AI is that good stock? That's a good deal.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Meaning I use BI to record and send me alerts when the camera triggers. Most here will not give a camera direct internet access to send emails and we rely on a VMS like BI or an NVR to send up alerts.

Yes Dahua AI is that good if all you care about is human or vehicle detection, look at the thread I linked:

dasdasdas

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Meaning I use BI to record and send me alerts when the camera triggers. Most here will not give a camera direct internet access to send emails and we rely on a VMS like BI or an NVR to send up alerts.

Yes Dahua AI is that good if all you care about is human or vehicle detection, look at the thread I linked:

Reading...
By the way, I saw in BI that trigger can be done by BI motion detection or ONVIF trigger, so I clicked on the settings button and saw a huge list of triggers that look like strings. what's the trigger for humans or vehicle? Is it standard in ONVIF?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is some new stuff that is still a work in progress. At some point it will allow us to have different IVS rules being pulled from the camera do different things.

For now it is best to just leave it at default and let BI trigger for whatever you set up in the camera.

dasdasdas

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
That is some new stuff that is still a work in progress. At some point it will allow us to have different IVS rules being pulled from the camera do different things.
So, for now keep Get ONVIF trigger events off?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So, for now keep Get ONVIF trigger events off?
If you have a camera with AI and you want the camera triggers to be pulled into BI, then you need that turned on.

dasdasdas

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
If you have a camera with AI and you want the camera triggers to be pulled into BI, then you need that turned on.
Gotcha. And how do I set up BI to set an alert that matches the ID or flag of that camera-AI trigger? record is set to on alert.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Since you decided to go with the camera AI, if it is a Dahua then set up the IVS rules within the camera and let it do its thing!

Go into the camera and set up smart plan with IVS, then go to the IVS screen and draw IVS rules (tripwire or intrusion box) and then select the AI you want it to trigger on (human or vehicle).

Then in BI, there are a few places you need to set this up in BI (assuming you already set up the IVS rules in the camera GUI):

In Camera configure setting check the box "Get ONVIF triggers".

Hit Find/Inspect on the camera setting to pull the coding for the triggers.

Go into Motion Setting and select the "Cameras digital input" box.

On the Alerts tab uncheck the Motions Zones tab (those are alerting you to any BI motion in those areas in Zones A thru H)

On the alerts tab set up how to be notified.