CodeProject AI 2.1.9 BI 5 death rat hole

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am in a death spiral on my BI 5 computer. It stopped getting trigger captures about 6 weeks ago. I restarted the machine and then I realized that the BI version was 6 months old, but I was unable to update it due to expiration of update (part of support). So I wasted $35 on a BI update that did nothing but change my version (latest stable). After a few reboots and repair/regenerations later, I downloaded, uninstalled and re-installed the AI (2.1.9) again. no joy there, but at least it didn't cost me $35.

The AI custom models box never populates. Clicking on the three dots always tells me to restart the AI service. Should i remove the installed modules from the CP dashboard (face, license, object detection (YOLOv5.net, object detection (YOLOv5 6.2)? I have no idea which of these the Intel CPU and GPU (no NVidia GPU) uses.

Now, when I start BI in settings, it is almost non-responsive/useless. For example, when i go from the default "about" tab to the AI tab, it takes something like 75 seconds for the GUI to update. (note the second time etc, it is more like a second). The CPU and GPU usage is a 6% and 2% respectively, so i have no idea why. My guess is that it is triggering and analyzing something in the background, even though it is not showing up on the usage display. It would be nice if i could go to the BI settings GUI without it being active in the background.

Any ideas how to bootstrap my way back to a functional system? If i uninstall BI, where is my license key? Will it be lost? Can i safely delete my 10's of thousand of clips from the HD? Is there any point?

I imagine that some useful information is in other posts like "CodeProject.AI Version 2.0", but it is 60 pages long.

Update: The strange processing delay (75+ seconds) without using CPU went away by de-selected the "use AI server on IP/port". Clearly this is not going to work as a solution, but confirms that it is the AI.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am in a death spiral on my BI 5 computer. It stopped getting trigger captures about 6 weeks ago. I restarted the machine and then I realized that the BI version was 6 months old, but I was unable to update it due to expiration of update (part of support). So I wasted $35 on a BI update that did nothing but change my version (latest stable). After a few reboots and repair/regenerations later, I downloaded, uninstalled and re-installed the AI (2.1.9) again. no joy there, but at least it didn't cost me $35.

The AI custom models box never populates. Clicking on the three dots always tells me to restart the AI service. Should i remove the installed modules from the CP dashboard (face, license, object detection (YOLOv5.net, object detection (YOLOv5 6.2)? I have no idea which of these the Intel CPU and GPU (no NVidia GPU) uses.

Now, when I start BI in settings, it is almost non-responsive/useless. For example, when i go from the default "about" tab to the AI tab, it takes something like 75 seconds for the GUI to update. (note the second time etc, it is more like a second). The CPU and GPU usage is a 6% and 2% respectively, so i have no idea why. My guess is that it is triggering and analyzing something in the background, even though it is not showing up on the usage display. It would be nice if i could go to the BI settings GUI without it being active in the background.

Any ideas how to bootstrap my way back to a functional system? If i uninstall BI, where is my license key? Will it be lost? Can i safely delete my 10's of thousand of clips from the HD? Is there any point?

I imagine that some useful information is in other posts like "CodeProject.AI Version 2.0", but it is 60 pages long.

Update: The strange processing delay (75+ seconds) without using CPU went away by de-selected the "use AI server on IP/port". Clearly this is not going to work as a solution, but confirms that it is the AI.
Download 2.08, it works perfectly.
You didnt waste 35 dollars, you now have access to the many extra features he has put out since your expiration and future updates.
Disconnect your cams so AI has nothing to analyze then look at your settings. You may have set a ton of image analysis that your system simply cannot handle.
Your key will be lost if you uninstall. Before uninstalling find your key. There are several ways to do this and a bunch of threads explaining it. You should also deactivate before uninstalling
Part of you problem may be your tens of thousands of clips. Those are insane numbers and is a result of not using combine and cut thereby creating a new clip for each trigger. This will cause stability issues.

hapstabu

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
bug99
Any ideas how to bootstrap my way back to a functional system? If i uninstall BI, where is my license key? Will it be lost?

Fyi, if you need your license key, you will find it by clicking the question mark to open the Get Support window. Click the Copy button next to the Email Support section. Paste into a text file, you will find your license key listed there.

If you have purchased extended support, you should have received an email from noreply_at_mycommerce_dot_com. That email will contain the license key for your extended maintenance.

I saw this application hanging behavior several days ago also. I believe a combination of stopping and starting the Blue Iris service, and rebooting the Blue Iris machine resolved it.

HTH

Sent from my iPlay_50 using Tapatalk

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am back to a running system. There are some tuning issues to do still for sure, but it more or less works as before. below is what i did and feel corrected the issues (a bit of speculation mixed in), in case others get into this rat hole. Note: I did not see previous version of the CPAI on their project site. I saw some older version on Chris's GitHub site, but it did not have ver 2.0.8, so i stayed with the latest 2.1.9-Beta

1) I think that the primary issue was the startup process of the conversion to CPAI. I feel that installing what you think you will want is an initial mistake. I recommend sneaking up on the modules. The secondary issue is a bit confusing, and deals with the starting of the installed modules (status tab). Don't start what you don't use, especially with regards to object detection (only start one). When you settle on an active set, remove the other modules entirely (install modules tab).

Within the CPAI dashboard, I initially installed Face Processing, License Plate Reader, Object Detection (YOLOv5 ,NET), Object Detection (YOLOv5 6.2). I removed all except .NET and restarted the computer.

2) A big confusion / problem is around the "use custom models" selection and the empty or greyed out box next to it, and "restart AI to refresh this list" under the three dots (that does nothing), as well as "Default object detection" selection and the "Medium" pull down and the "Use GPU" check box. The big thing here, is the custom models is actually brought in from choosing one or more models in the individual cameras, not here, AND if one or more of those camera fields is empty, it uses ALL available models. That can be a big deal CPU/GPU wise, so sneak up on it.

I started with default object detection and Medium (no custom models at all), then moved to not use default object detection (and turned on custom), which i think ignores the "Medium" pull down, and chose / configured by adding only one model in each camera Trigger/AI/Custom models field. I only used ipcam-combined for each camera for now (not blank on any camera where AI is enabled . After this and a restart, the BI settings AI field will likely now have something in the greyed out custom models block.

I hope this helps others. Feel free to correct my assumptions towards best practices.