Cobra DVR stuck System Initializing

trig

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I connected a monitor to my system and I get this ! System Initializing ! and it stays there. I have not checked this system in the last month or two. I hear hard driver spinning. I disconnected all cameras also and it still has this problem. This is a cheaper Cobra system I bought at Harbor Freight 24 months ago for my shop but it has always worked until now. Anyway to tell what the problem might be. Motherboard maybe ? I am a computer tech but never worked one of these systems. It also does the same thing with hard driver cables disconnected. I put the hard drive in my desktop using the DVD drive cables and it shows up but of course I can't read anything and got prompted to format which of course I didn't do. Thoughts ?? thanks for any help.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds like the little memory on the motherboard that hosts the firmware is shot. Probably cheaper to replace than to repair.

trig

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Sounds like the little memory on the motherboard that hosts the firmware is shot. Probably cheaper to replace than to repair.
Thanks, I was thinking it was someone on the board. Probably couldn't find a replacement board for what I just could buy another system. I appreciate your reply.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Won't hurt to try disconnecting the HDD (data and power) and power up.

trig

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had tried that earlier today and same thing. I was just hoping there was a flash that I could do to get it back working but it was wishful thinking lol
If one of these systems was powered up using a monitor and hard drive disconnected would I get to a screen ? like in system setup in a PC ?
I just want security of some sort that is wired. The problem is not far from me someone broke in and not only stole a lot of things but also took the security system with them. Hard to stay ahead of the bad boys. I got three wireless YI cameras with sim cards and I can view from my home. Only problem is if I lose internet I wouldn't have a backup.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Cannot say with certainty you'd see something w/o a hdd attached. It depends on dvr manufacturer.

Based on your OP there was a slight chance that a bad HDD could hold up the system initialization, hence the suggestion.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
The problem is you are not getting past the boot up screen, so hooking to a monitor or trying to login via a web browser and the NVR IP address wouldn't work since it hasn't got that far.

Since you confirmed the HDD is working, it basically comes down to the NVR and probably the memory that stores the firmware.

Slim chance it could be the power adapter going out, but with the HDD disconnected one would think it would have enough juice to boot up the NVR.

I had one die like this. Not much you can do. Other than swapping the power cord, not much else you can try unless you can find a reset button on the motherboard to try.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
FWIW - looks like this is the kit being discussed

1638305046674.png
1638305117791.png
1638305148676.png
1638305177921.png

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There's a tiny, tiny chance there could be a bad filter capacitor on the motherboard that has opened up...look for one that looks pooched out, especially at the ends where there are score lines in the metal so that the faulty cap expands instead of exploding.

Larger electrolytic caps are used as filters especially in linear power supplies and faults oftentimes show up when power is first applied.

P.S. - Welcome to IPCT!
and "Roll Tide" !

trig

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
There's a tiny, tiny chance there could be a bad filter capacitor on the motherboard that has opened up...look for one that looks pooched out, especially at the ends where there are score lines in the metal so that the faulty cap expands instead of exploding.

Larger electrolytic caps are used as filters especially in linear power supplies and faults oftentimes show up when power is first applied.

P.S. - Welcome to IPCT!
and "Roll Tide" !
I had looked close on the capacitors and didn't see any leaks.