Clips Status message: Shows Gigabytes of clips even after I've destroyed them.

DaveK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Any help on why the Clips status message at the bottom of the page doesn't update when I delete/destroy the clips in the clip list? I've looked in the folder where they are supposed to be saved, and there is nothing there. I've set the path in the [Clips and Archiving] tab to an empty drive with one folder on it. There are a few .dat files there, but no videos.

Is there another place where the videos might be taking up space?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sometimes it takes a while until the database is updated...if you open and close blue iris it will reflect the change...
In general you should not be manually deleting clips its a waste of time...set it to do this automatically.

DaveK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have set it to automatically delete clips, but a lot of what I'm doing right now is just junk... sending my cat out to trip the alert, for example, or when I get up on a ladder to sweep away a pesky cobweb that swings in front of the camera when the wind blows. So I selected and deleted those junk clips, and was a little surprised that they didn't disappear from the Status Bar.

I just now re-started BI, and the Status Bar still shows 25 files, 1.79G/40G. I know that's no where near any critical resource levels, but it's still a puzzling curiosity. Could it have anything to do with the fact I'm using the Demo version?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Check your stored or alert folder..the demo mode should not affect this.
For reference
Here is what the help file says about the status bar
Next is a status display describing the utilization of your clip storage folders. This display may consist of these numbers:
  • The number of files in the folder. It is considered a warning condition if this number surpasses 200,000.
  • The amount of headroom on the drive beyond what's required to store 100% of the folder's specified maximum size. It is considered an error condition if this number falls below 1GB. Ideally you should reserve enough free space to accommodate at least 15 minutes worth of completed files from each camera, as the process to store and delete files only runs occasionally. The clip storage status display will be shown in red if there is a warning or error condition.
  • The current CPU utilization (approximately). If this number approaches 100% it is considered an error condition and the number will be shown in red.

DaveK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok, I think I'm making a tiny bit of progress here. For some reason I thought the clips would all be stored in the path I set in [Clips and Archiving].

Now, I've found the clips and such, and they are located on my C: drive. How do I Get BI to store those onto a different drive? My C: drive is not intended for a lot of overhead, and I'd like to store documents, images, data, and video on a different drive.

DaveK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Arrgh! Yes, I've discovered my mistake. Each of the designated folders has its own path, and I didn't have them set right. To quote that great intellect Homer.... D'oh!