Clip Storage

petere10

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hi,
would someone be so kind as to explain in simple terms how to set up storage for the clips generated by BI. I have a 4TB external USB3 storage drive dedicated to BI. What I have done so far is to leave the 'New' and 'Stored' folders alone setting them to 7 days and 14 days respectively. I have then renamed the rest Aux30, Aux60 ... all the way to Aux 365 and have set the rules to cascade from one folder to the next. I have allocated 300GB to each folder which I THOUGHT would allocate space of 300GB to each folder. Didn't work that way.

How should I understand it?

Thanks

Pete

Edcfish

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
1. external USB hard drives are not recommended.
2. If you are storing all the clips on a single drive, use only the New folder and retain clips based on space used (allocate in BI about 90% of the drive's total space, leaving 10% free). There is likely no reason to use multiple folders and move clips on a drive based on time/date. It is inefficient, wasting resources and shortening drive life with unnecessary reads/writes.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My standard storage post.

1) Do not use time (limit clip age)to determine when BI video files are moved or deleted, only use space.
2) If New and stored are on the same disk drive do not used stored, set the stored size to zero, set the new folder to delete, not move. All it does is waste CPU time and increase the number of disk writes. You can leave the stored folder on the drive just do not use it.
3) Never allocate over 90% of the total disk drive to BI.
4) if using continuous recording on the BI camera settings, record tab, set the combine and cut video to 1 hour or 4 GB.
5) it is recommend to NOT store video on an SSD (the C: drive).
6) Do not run the disk defragmenter on the video storage disk drives.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What happens when the space expires before the time ?
What happens when the time expires before the space, the space is left over and it can not be used because you have allocated it to BI.