Cisco IP cameras? Keep or buy new ones?

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
My company got rid of some Cisco IP cameras so they gave them to me. The models were CIVS-IPC-6400E and CIVS-IPC-6020. These are older cameras but still work. I'm wondering if it's worth it to use these or get some newer ones with newer technology. The 6400E's are bigger and look like what you would find in a commercial building - not sure they will pass the WAF. I looked up the specs and they both have 1/2.7" progressive scan CMOS sensors which I believe are good (from reading). They are both 1080P. The 6400E has a wide apperature with Black and white mode: F1.2 @ 0.2 lux. Both support H264. These things cost hundreds of dollars new, but they are circa 2014 models. Even though they were free, does it make sense to use something this old? Seems like Dahua or Hikvision are the most popular here - would these provide better video quality and have newer features? The 4MP, 5MP and 4K videos that people posts seem so detailed (compared to 1080P). What would you do?

Note: I already have BI 5.0 installed and a PoE switch. I've played with adding a couple cameras (pre-staged) but I'm envious of the higher resolutions.

Reaction score
Regarding internal/in-house cameras:
Many people here like the Dahua K-35 'cube' (more like a rectangle/box) cameras.
I don't have any K-35 cameras, so I cannot comment on them.

I've recently purchased a few Amcrest IP4M-1051 cameras (white and black plastic shells).
The Amcrest is a re-badged/OEM Dahua unit with extremely good image quality.

Regarding exterior/outdoor cameras:
The Dahua/Loryta Starlight 5442 cameras are getting good reviews.

erensfd

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I would try to make use of them first, and see if they perform to your expectations, especially at night. Most of my cameras are 2MP Dahua starlights, and I don't think I need anything more than that (in terms of resolution) for surveillance purposes. With the current models out there right now, anything over 4MP seems to have poor low light performance compared to 2/4MP starlights anyway.

Another option is to check the current market for those cameras. Since they are Cisco, someone might be looking into replacing a broken one and could pay a good price for them. You can use that money to buy new cameras.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
My company got rid of some Cisco IP cameras so they gave them to me. The models were CIVS-IPC-6400E and CIVS-IPC-6020. These are older cameras but still work. I'm wondering if it's worth it to use these or get some newer ones with newer technology. The 6400E's are bigger and look like what you would find in a commercial building - not sure they will pass the WAF. I looked up the specs and they both have 1/2.7" progressive scan CMOS sensors which I believe are good (from reading). They are both 1080P. The 6400E has a wide apperature with Black and white mode: F1.2 @ 0.2 lux. Both support H264. These things cost hundreds of dollars new, but they are circa 2014 models. Even though they were free, does it make sense to use something this old? Seems like Dahua or Hikvision are the most popular here - would these provide better video quality and have newer features? The 4MP, 5MP and 4K videos that people posts seem so detailed (compared to 1080P). What would you do?

Note: I already have BI 5.0 installed and a PoE switch. I've played with adding a couple cameras (pre-staged) but I'm envious of the higher resolutions.
Hi @reflection

I would get a good 2MP starlight camera and compare it to the cisco camera. See what sort of difference you get with the imaging and then determine if you want to keep them.

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Regarding internal/in-house cameras:
Many people here like the Dahua K-35 'cube' (more like a rectangle/box) cameras.
I don't have any K-35 cameras, so I cannot comment on them.

I've recently purchased a few Amcrest IP4M-1051 cameras (white and black plastic shells).
The Amcrest is a re-badged/OEM Dahua unit with extremely good image quality.

Regarding exterior/outdoor cameras:
The Dahua/Loryta Starlight 5442 cameras are getting good reviews.
Wow, the video quality of the Dahua 5442 blows away the Cisco's I have (based on the review video vs what I see with mine). I'm looking for mostly outdoor video. This review has made my decision to abandon the Cisco's. Thanks!

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I would try to make use of them first, and see if they perform to your expectations, especially at night. Most of my cameras are 2MP Dahua starlights, and I don't think I need anything more than that (in terms of resolution) for surveillance purposes. With the current models out there right now, anything over 4MP seems to have poor low light performance compared to 2/4MP starlights anyway.

Another option is to check the current market for those cameras. Since they are Cisco, someone might be looking into replacing a broken one and could pay a good price for them. You can use that money to buy new cameras.
The Starlights are very nice in terms of video quality. I think I will see if I can sell the Cisco's like you said. Thanks!

reflection

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi @reflection

I would get a good 2MP starlight camera and compare it to the cisco camera. See what sort of difference you get with the imaging and then determine if you want to keep them.
For 2MP starlights, which one do you recommend? Thank you.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For 2MP starlights, which one do you recommend? Thank you.
Hi @reflection

Any that SouthernYankee lists on his welcome message.

I have an older IPC-HDW52xx model that works well. The newer ones are well liked, as well as the IPC-HDW22xx