Choppy video in UI3

Ipcamquest

n3wb
Reaction score
I just installed the trial supporting a single camera. I have noticed that the video via UI3 can be choppy at times. You can watch the time overlay and see it cleanly go from second to second and then it will just freeze for a second and skip a second. I don't see this when watching the camera directly or from the application directly. CPU/MEM utilization is low. Is there a setting I missed that could result in this issue?

Thanks

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
What is the resolution and frame rate of the camera? 4K cams at high frame rate can be rather resource-intensive.

Also, are you using wifi for the connection from your web browser to Blue Iris?

To gather more data, it would be helpful to right click the video in UI3 and look in the Stats for nerds panel. Also if you are using UI3 on a Windows PC, you could run a pinging tool like PingTracer to rapidly ping the Blue Iris machine and this should tell you if your network connection is unstable at all.

Ipcamquest

n3wb
Reaction score
2MP camera at 15 FPS. Server and network resources are not an issue.

I spent some additional time looking into the choppy behavior and I think that I have narrowed the issue down to Firefox. Having both Chrome and Firefox up side by side and Firefox is showing delayed frames but Chrome is not.

Is there a known issue with Firefox?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Firefox had issues long ago but nothing in recent years unless you're talking about Firefox on Android. My previous advice could shed more light on the problem if you care to pursue it further.

Ipcamquest

n3wb
Reaction score
In the Stats for Nerds, I am seeing a large number of Delayed Frames in Firefox. It Is constantly around 4 but jumps to 13-14. One thing that is a little odd is that the VBR is 700-900Kbps/with a 6-8K Frame Size under Chrome but Firefox is showing VBR as being 6-9Mbps with a 40-80K Frame Size. I am not sure why these would be different between the two browsers.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
We see weird things with browsers.

For example, download speed from an SD card in the camera is browser dependent. 100Mbps with Explorer and 10Mbps with other browsers. Go figure LOL. And then of course all the weird not saving and not seeing all of the functions based on browser for some cameras.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
In the Stats for Nerds, I am seeing a large number of Delayed Frames in Firefox. It Is constantly around 4 but jumps to 13-14. One thing that is a little odd is that the VBR is 700-900Kbps/with a 6-8K Frame Size under Chrome but Firefox is showing VBR as being 6-9Mbps with a 40-80K Frame Size. I am not sure why these would be different between the two browsers.
This certainly shouldn't be different between browsers. I wonder if your Firefox installation has a plugin that is interfering somehow.