Choosing the right poe switch

Opeth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Good morning all.
Im planning an installation to my fathers house with 8 cameras ip dahua. Models are HFW5442T-ASE and 2 models HDW5541H-AS-PV and NVR5208-4KS2. Because the house has no access from outside to inside we will drill a hole to get access inside the house. The switch will be at the office where the router is install and i will get a cat 6 from router to the nvr that will be at the tv in the living room. So one ethernet cable from router to switch and on ethernet cable from router to nvr. Because mostly i use nvr with poe built in, that will be my first time using a switch. My questions is..
1) what specs of the switch i will be more focus to choose the right one besides from Watt
2) is something im must config to the nvr to get switch work? Or just plug the cables and it is ok? I mean do i have to set an ip for switch from the nvr or something?
Thank you

Reaction score
Since you have 8 cams and need an uplink port to the NVR, you will have to get a switch that has at least 8 POE ports and additional non-POE ports for the connection to the NVR. However, the switch does not HAVE to contain non-POE ports. A switch that has more than 8 POE ports and no non-POE ports would work just fine. Just make sure that the power budget for each port is more than the cams and the total power budget for the switch is not exceeded.

As far as the configuration of the NVR, I have no expertise on that. Maybe @bigredfish can comment as he is our resident expert on those NRVs.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I’m using this switch currently, works fine

no you won’t have to do anything to the switch just plug in cameras.
******you will have to plug one camera in at a time, then login to that camera and change the IP address on the camera before you plug in the next one. They will all be 192.168.1.108 to begin with which would be a conflict

Once all are plugged in with separate IPs, you can go to NVR Registration page and click device search and it will find them. Then add them manually from top pane to bottom pane.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Opeth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok 10/100mbs is it ok or do i have to get a gb switch? Also what are this ?
  • Switching Capacity: 1Gbps
  • Packet Forwarding Rate: 744Kpps
  • do i care about this?

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Im not a networking expert, but 10/100 should be fine.

The biggest thing is what @samplenhold said. Make sure each port can deliver the power needed by each camera and be mindful of the total power budget is enough to run the total cameras you want to connect to it.

Reaction score
Realize that just about any modern POE switch will be 10/100/1000 speed, including the switch that @bigredfish linked to. However, that switch does not have enough ports for your specific application as you need nine ports minimum, 8 for cams and one to the NVR.

A note about the power budgets: it is important to calculate both the per port and switch total powers. Example: I have a Netgear GW308P that has a total POE maximum rating of 53 Watts and a per port rating of 15.4 Watts. This switch has 4 POE ports and 4 non-POE ports. If I plugged in cams that uses 15 watts in each port, which is less than the max per port, that would be a total of 60 watts, which is more than the switch can handle.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Use only 802.3at or 802.3af, If you have 8 cameras and a 8 camera NVR . then you will need a 9+ port POE switch.

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm a Ubiquiti fan as well but that switch is fine as long as you don't want it to supply passive POE. There are a bunch of threads on the UI.com site about issues with the 16 port switch and passive POE which is quite ironic because several Ubiquiti devices still utilize passive POE. I actually sent back the 16 port switch and replaced it with 2 of the 8-port 150-watt switches. The 8-port switches don't have any issues with passive.