Check this POE+ gizmo out - I've died and gone to heaven

tf9623

n3wb
Reaction score
I've recently upgraded everything to PoE+ (aka 802.3at) vs regular PoE (aka 802.af) and then this came along. The only thing I'll wait for is a 2700k version but this is great for your cameras.

I don't do wifi because if you're going to run a power cable you might as well run PoE - if you need to reboot or power cycle you can remote to the switch and shut the port and turn it back on and you're done.

So my latest thing is I want to put a camera or two in a tree in the front yard so I can capture license plates. At the same time I have lighting on most of my cameras so I don't need to use the IR but do in some cases.

I was thinking the other day "wouldn't it be cool to have a POE LED light?" Well guess what - they have one - and you can also power the camera off it (and probably your in-line powered mic too!)

Check it out: Amazon.com: 8 watt PoE LED Outdoor Flood light with PIR Motion Sensor Detection, Bright White Floodlight powered by PoE, share one Ethernet cable for Light and IP Camera ( 48v PoE injector available separately ): Kitchen & Dining

If the link doesn't come through go to Amazon and search for B01N234FAL which is the Amazon part number. Evidently they have different versions with light sensors and it isn't that bright (640 lumens and 3700k-4000k) but I might just get one now that I am typing this just to check it out. Imagine the possibilities as LED gets more lumens per watt and you can run one cable for a camera and have light too.

I don't work for this company and have no affiliation - just saw this and thought it would be a cool thing and this audience here on ipcamtalk.com would definitely appreciate it. If it has already been mentioned - sorry about that.

Thanks.

Attachments

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tf9623

n3wb
Reaction score
OK - I thought they had a POE+ powered version - maybe I am wrong. Let me look at the manufacturers site because using an injector (passive) is a croc. Maybe I jumped the gun. I might read some more and if they do have one that I can just plug into a POE+ port on my switch and run with it I'll get one to check it out.

The only thing that passive POE was somewhat useful for was back before I knew better and I had a super cool Night Owl DVR from Tiger Direct with 4 analog cameras and I wanted to use cat 5 instead of coax. It really isn't POE - it is just combining power and signal on different wires at one end and splitting out on the other - but I didn't know any better. Of course that's when I was thinking my Kraco car stereo, Jensen 6x9, and Realistic amps were cool :)

tf9623

n3wb
Reaction score
I just emailed the manufacturer to clarify and see if they do indeed have a product that I can plug into a POE+ port on my switch and power both the light and camera or does it require a propietary injector. We'll see what they say.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I just emailed the manufacturer to clarify and see if they do indeed have a product that I can plug into a POE+ port on my switch and power both the light and camera or does it require a propietary injector. We'll see what they say.
See the spec sheet...it describes how it works...its not a big deal, it just requires you to plug in their injector as well...