Cheap Rack Finds

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Quite a while ago there was a discussion on rack mounting your gear. At that time I mentioned puplicsurplus.com, a website that auctions mainly municipality 'stuff'. I wasn't particularly interested in a rack / cabinet at the time but a couple of months ago decided I really needed to clean up everything in the basement. So... I started looking. I'm in CT so I only looked at auctions in the state.
Last week I landed one. It's a Hergo 42U monster. Even came with some old gear they didn't want. Picked it up today. Grand total after taxes and auction fee $58
If you are patient you can find a lot of stuff you may find useful. Just an fyi the starting bid was $50. I was the only bidder. I have seen similar racks go for $10 if the starting bid was that low.

At the auction site (15mi from our house)

rack cabinet in berlin town hall.JPG

and unloading it after removing front / back doors and side panels - a tractor is useful

rack cabinet unloading.JPG

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Quite a while ago there was a discussion on rack mounting your gear. At that time I mentioned puplicsurplus.com, a website that auctions mainly municipality 'stuff'. I wasn't particularly interested in a rack / cabinet at the time but a couple of months ago decided I really needed to clean up everything in the basement. So... I started looking. I'm in CT so I only looked at auctions in the state.
Last week I landed one. It's a Hergo 42U monster. Even came with some old gear they didn't want. Picked it up today. Grand total after taxes and auction fee $58
If you are patient you can find a lot of stuff you may find useful. Just an fyi the starting bid was $50. I was the only bidder. I have seen similar racks go for $10 if the starting bid was that low.

At the auction site (15mi from our house)

View attachment 102337

and unloading it after removing front / back doors and side panels - a tractor is useful

View attachment 102338
I've spent more just on the mounting rails!

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Yup comes down to timing and being at the right place at the right time!

Just a small sample when I was in a Government auction. They had a blind Bid & Go listing sight unseen.

You bid whatever and whoever won got anything from used socks to massive NOS hardware that was mandated to be liquidated because they weren’t commissioned by some random Government due date?!?

IMG_1278.jpg

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I had to cut back my rear workbench by 5" to make it fit.
rack cabinet in place.jpg

good thing its on casters, I'll be able to roll it out of the way if I need to bring anything large into this basement room. It's the perfect place for it - between two groups of switches on either side of it.

One thing I didn't know was they also threw in a fixed mounted base panel and a sliding one and a bunch of various hardware. The gear that was included, that weighed over 100lbs, I pulled out. It was a tape drive system. I'm going to salvage as much hardware from it before canning it.