CAT6A Shielded (FTP) Running Along 120VAC for 75'

Kevin Doe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have a shed that is located approximately 75 feet away from my house, and would like to run an ethernet line out there for a camera. I have CAT6A FTP (overall foil shield). I have two buried conduits that I ran out there. One is 3/4" for a 20A 120VAC supply. It currently has 3 10ga wires in it (hot, neutral, ground). The other is a 1.5" that has a 3/4" PEX line it it, for water supply to the shed. Both conduits are run in the same trench, right next to each other.

I'd like to run the ethernet line in the 3/4" conduit with the 120VAC line, but worried about electrical interference. I know the shielding helps, but is this a good idea? Should I use a different type of cable? Or should I not run it alongside the power lines for that distance (~75ft).

This is the CAT6A line I have:
1653497691275.png

tigerwillow1

Known around here
Reaction score
Just opinion, I'd choose running burial UTP in the conduit with the pex over using the same conduit containing the 120 volt line. I have a feeling using the same conduit as the 120 volt power might be a code violation, but my grasp of those details is admittedly fading.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
... but is this a good idea?
No.

Should I use a different type of cable?
No.

Or should I not run it alongside the power lines for that distance (~75ft).
Correct.

Consider purchasing a wireless bridge to connect the two locations. Several manufacturer's sell them (Engenius, ubiquti). Essentially it is a kit with two wireless access points that are pre-configured in bridge mode and it extends your current network 'over the air'.

Many here, including myself, have set them up and they work well. It should not be a problem to support a single camera in the shed.

TechieTech

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Just opinion, I'd choose running burial UTP in the conduit with the pex over using the same conduit containing the 120 volt line. I have a feeling using the same conduit as the 120 volt power might be a code violation, but my grasp of those details is admittedly fading.
Yes, it is against code.

Kevin Doe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well that just about sums up this conversation. I definitely won't do it if it's against code, and even if not, sounds like it was a bad idea anyhow. I'll check into the wireless bridges. Thanks!

qflyer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Well that just about sums up this conversation. I definitely won't do it if it's against code, and even if not, sounds like it was a bad idea anyhow. I'll check into the wireless bridges. Thanks!
I'm using two TP-Link units to bridge my house and boat dock roughly 400 feet apart. Working perfectly for many months now with a constant stream of 40-50 mbps going between the units supporting several cameras. I'd still go wired over wireless if possible, but if you don't want to dig a new trench for your CAT6A, the wireless bridges are super simple and seem to be reliable. Set it and forget it. Here's the one I'm using, get two of 'em.
Oh, I initially went with the 2.4 ghz unit because I have some brush/tree limbs between the house and dock. It wasn't reliable with frequent dropouts. Turned out to be interference due to so many devices on the 2.4. Site surveys were picking up dozens and dozens of wifi connections, people's smart vacuums, a smart refrigerator, you name it. I couldn't believe how much stuff was on the 2.4 band. Got the 5 ghz, and not a single problem even with the brush in the way. Always have a solid 300 mbps link on the 5 ghz.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

DsineR

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'd like to run the ethernet line in the 3/4" conduit with the 120VAC line, but worried about electrical interference. I know the shielding helps, but is this a good idea? Should I use a different type of cable? Or should I not run it alongside the power lines for that distance (~75ft).
Another option - pull a 120VAC cable & use power -> network adapters at each end.

Reaction score
If the cable is direct burial, there is no "code" to how deep you can bury it, alone without conduit. Could be 2", 12", 24" or 50". If it is a low traffic area, I'd stick with Cat6 shielded and for sure ground/bond it, and put it in a 4"-6" trench 1/2" wide and be done with it for a quick installation. If wanted something more "correctly done", put it 12" or more depth. If you want it perfect, put in 1/2" PVC at 12" or more depth and run it through. (for a single cable, really do not need more than 1/2" unless there are future networking cabling to be pulled).

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
1) That cable you linked is indoor rated, I would not pull it into ANY underground conduit, as water WILL get in. I'd use only direct burial-rated cable in a underground situation, conduit or no.
2) I'd be more prone to pull a POE cable into the conduit with the water if it weren't for #3, below.
3) Since a Ubiquiti Layer 2 Transparant Bridge works so well as mentioned by others prior to this post, and you have power in the shed, #1 and #2 are moot, IMO...I've installed about 10 in the last 10 years, all are humming along without a hiccup. Also great for a lightning prone area.

Ubiquiti_layer2_bridge-cams.jpg

Last edited:

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I would run fiber inside the pvc with the PEX in it.
Fiber to ethernet converters are cheap these days, and you will have no problems with the AC being close.

My second choice, the wireless will work fine, I am using wireless for most of my links.

CamFan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Check your local code for running these in same conduit.

If allowed, you would need CAT with the right voltage rating. They make 600V rated CAT6, see Belden 7953A Multi-Conductor - Category 6 DataTuff, and others make it also.

I'd recommend pulling a duplex fiber and using some cheap media converters. It will be an easier pull.

You don't have to worry about electrical interference. GigE signals are 125MHz, AC is 60Hz. Plus the ethernet signals are differential, so as long as both the + and - wires get the same interference (they should, as are twisted together), they cancel out at the receive end.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
worse comes to worse...
can use about 275 carrier pigeons to fly back and forth to peck on abucas which in turn will fire up the punch key cards so that the 18" reels of cassette reel tapes can fire up your network, like in Capt America and Spectre computer

CamFan

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Wireless is fine if you want to watch your dog running around the yard. WIFI is insecure and vulnerable, and not recommended for security use. If you must use WIFI, use WPA3, though the signal can still be jammed.

Bury the link underground and secure your shed as if it were another room attached to your house.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Wireless is fine if you want to watch your dog running around the yard. WIFI is insecure and vulnerable, and not recommended for security use. If you must use WIFI, use WPA3, though the signal can still be jammed.

Bury the link underground and secure your shed as if it were another room attached to your house.
If you are referring to using a Ubiquity Nano Station Loco M5 , that's not Wifi, its a dedicated secured link.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It's RF, it can still be jammed.
And if you think underground conductors even in conduit are trouble-free forever you are mistaken. One has to weigh several factors on any project such as the OP's: schedule, expense, maintenance, reliability, past experience.

My area has a lot of severe lightning...based on witnessing first hand many, many devices blown up by nearby lightning strikes and the excellent performance and reliability of 9 or 10 Ubiquiti wireless Layer 2 Transparent Bridges over a 10 year period performing the same job I'll put in the Ubiquiti equipment every time.

If I had the budget and time I'd seriously consider fiber. My last consideration is metallic cable between 2 buildings....in MY area.

But of course, if you live in an area with NO lightning then the conduit and cable could be your best bet.......unless it has to be in quickly. YMMV

Last edited: