Cat6 vs Cat5e

Reaction score
Don't want to belabor the discussion here but...

Is it still recommended to just go with Cat5e vs Cat6 for cameras?

It's probably a stupid question but since I have an opportunity to run lines in a new addition to our home and have free reign/access to the rough framing. It's an ideal time to run lines for cameras (which have yet to be purchased. The plan is/was to run foil shielded Cat6.

Is it overkill or totally unnecessary?

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Don't want to belabor the discussion here but...

Is it still recommended to just go with Cat5e vs Cat6 for cameras?

It's probably a stupid question but since I have an opportunity to run lines in a new addition to our home and have free reign/access to the rough framing. It's an ideal time to run lines for cameras (which have yet to be purchased. The plan is/was to run foil shielded Cat6.

Is it overkill or totally unnecessary?
I would use the cat6 since you have free reign. If you think you want 2 cables at a location, pull 3, always good to have a spare.

Reaction score
Thanks, guys. As a side observation (maybe for another thread even), the cost of the Cat6 foil shield cable is twice the cost of the unshielded. I didn't do a lot of shopping but have seen some wild price differences for the same type of cable. I went with shielded because I have no idea what I may be using for PoE in the future with these runs. I like being able to sleep at night :)

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
For cameras in a house, I wouldn't bother using shielded / foiled Cat-6 unless your really close to a radio tower.

You can get cable that bundles multiple network and coax together some even have fiber if you want to future proof (this type of cable would be for interior wiring not cameras). Sometimes you'll see this type of cable for a good price on craigslist.