Cat 6 in conduit/water

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'm going to be adding a new camera that will be away from the house. My plan is to lay conduit for me to pull the cable through. I would like to make sure the cable I use will stand up to the elements. If I assume that the conduit could eventually hold water, what Cat 6 cable should I use? Thanks!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm going to be adding a new camera that will be away from the house. My plan is to lay conduit for me to pull the cable through. I would like to make sure the cable I use will stand up to the elements. If I assume that the conduit could eventually hold water, what Cat 6 cable should I use? Thanks!
Jacket should be rated for direct burial.

Shireen DC-2030 is 23 AWG CAT-6, solid copper, UTP and is direct burial and UV-rated

Also, Monoprice offers Syston Cat6 Ethernet Bulk Cable - Outdoor Gel-filled Direct Burial, STP, Solid, 550MHz, Pure Bare Copper, 23AWG, 1000ft, Black, UV-rated

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Direct burial CAT cable to be safe.

Although many have used regular cable unexposed to elements for years without a problem. As always YMMV.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, after doing a little research, I'm seeing some recommendations for flooded gel filled cable. Is that overkill?
I'd say "no" unless it's a lot more expensive, and it really should not be.
It's a booger to mess with, gets all over your hands (and elsewhere if not careful) but if just one run I'd likely use the gel-filled again myself.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'd say "no" unless it's a lot more expensive, and it really should not be.
It's a booger to mess with, gets all over your hands (and elsewhere if not careful) but if just one run I'd likely use the gel-filled again myself.
Thanks again, I think I will go with gel filled just to have an extra layer of protection against a flooded conduit. One last question, since the cameras only run at 100 Mbps, can I get away with using CAT 5 or CAT 5e?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
One last question, since the cameras only run at 100 Mbps, can I get away with using CAT 5 or CAT 5e?
Probably but let me ask:
  • Assuming the cam is POE, how long is this new run?
  • Do you know the max power drawn by the cam?
I ask because depending on your answers, the thicker 23 AWG (available with CAT6 if you look for it) might be in order.
Speed-wise Cat-5e is OK for the one cam.

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
The camera will be a Dahua 5231 and it draws ~8.5 watts. The run is 287' POE+.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks again, I think I will go with gel filled just to have an extra layer of protection against a flooded conduit. One last question, since the cameras only run at 100 Mbps, can I get away with using CAT 5 or CAT 5e?
Plain Cat5 should be avoided completely.

cbt20

n3wb
Reaction score
Cat5e is the minimum. Cat6a is the standard going forward. There’s no reason to ever use basic CAT5 today.