CAT 6 24 AWG riser cable 1000ft for $30 bucks will this work ok for 6 cam POE system?

Lowpost99

n3wb
Reaction score
This seems like a great deal just wanted to confim there no gotchas with this grade of cable in my home without issue. Don't know if its solid or stranded, but should I care? 23 AWG or 24 is available which is better to go with all things the same?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
This seems like a great deal just wanted to confim there no gotchas with this grade of cable in my home without issue. Don't know if its solid or stranded, but should I care? 23 AWG or 24 is available which is better to go with all things the same?
That price suggests that it is either junk CCA/copper clad aluminium, stolen or both. Post a link

Last edited:

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Welcome @Lowpost99,

Quality cable with solid copper wires at 23 or 24 AWG typically runs significantly more than $30 for 1000 feet. As fenderman suspects, there's something odd in that deal you've posted.

( iirc Monoprice is about $90 for the non-UV rated riser cables I have used - not much more when you consider the time you will take with a friend to do your cable pulls - and trust us, it is worth getting good quality cable )

Lowpost99

n3wb
Reaction score
Here's the link...it is General Speed 6 I couldn't get a close up of the detailed info....its Facebook marketplace not a retailer.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
To save $60. how much time is it going to cost you if one of the cables fail after install. Let it fail in the summer in the attic...

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Here's the link...it is General Speed 6 I couldn't get a close up of the detailed info....its Facebook marketplace not a retailer.
It appears to be decent cable that's solid copper.

However, you could be dealing with something stolen / fell off a truck, a partial roll, or a bait and switch, or it could be just fine.
There can be good deals on cable on craigslist, nextdoor, facebook, especially specialty cable like burial rated.

However, cable is generally a bad place to try to save money. Replacing / troubleshooting bad cable can be time consuming and expensive.

Lowpost99

n3wb
Reaction score
To save $60. how much time is it going to cost you if one of the cables fail after install. Let it fail in the summer in the attic...
I'm on an unfinished basement... i'm going to fish up vs. down... but thanks either way... a failed cable is easier to replace than it is to install...you just pull the new cable with the old one and its that easy.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm on an unfinished basement... i'm going to fish up vs. down... but thanks either way... a failed cable is easier to replace than it is to install...you just pull the new cable with the old one and its that easy.
So you going to spend hours diagnosing and then fishing the cable and making a new connections and pulling cameras off walls when it's cold out.. just to save a few bucks....

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Lowpost99

I didn't see the link, but if it is "GenSPEED Category 6" it should be good cable.

Lowpost99

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey guys how about this product from mono price?
250' Monoprice Cat5e 24AWG Stranded Pure Bare Copper Wire Ethernet Cable 2 for $35 + Free Shipping
So you going to spend hours diagnosing and then fishing the cable and making a new connections and pulling cameras off walls when it's cold out.. just to save a few bucks....
Baring any critters in an attic, most Ethernet cables that fail are those that are loose in open areas, and constantly being moved around, wound and unwound for packing unpacking vs static and isolated via clips in the walls to a port. It's like bending a paper clip, if you don't touch it it should fine beyond the life of whatever is connected on either end. I've worked as a fiber/copper/Ethernet installer and our plenum cables have been in place upwards of 8-10 years. The open office place and workshop cables barely last 18 months, wall ports even fail first due to excessive abuse. Open air cables fail due to getting rolled up and kicked, folded etc. At that rate, any piece of copper that size will break. When ever we went through a building, from access to distribution panels, we just tied off a new cable to the old ones and pulled it through. We tested with cable testers before we left. We typically were only called back to replace patch panel to switches which we made for client as well but they moved around at will. What do think of the price/use/value of the link I posted below? It's solid, and fire rated for in wall. I would probably need to get 2 spools.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey guys how about this product from mono price?
250' Monoprice Cat5e 24AWG Stranded Pure Bare Copper Wire Ethernet Cable 2 for $35 + Free Shipping

Baring any critters in an attic, most Ethernet cables that fail are those that are loose in open areas, and constantly being moved around, wound and unwound for packing unpacking vs static and isolated via clips in the walls to a port. It's like bending a paper clip, if you don't touch it it should fine beyond the life of whatever is connected on either end. I've worked as a fiber/copper/Ethernet installer and our plenum cables have been in place upwards of 8-10 years. The open office place and workshop cables barely last 18 months, wall ports even fail first due to excessive abuse. Open air cables fail due to getting rolled up and kicked, folded etc. At that rate, any piece of copper that size will break. When ever we went through a building, from access to distribution panels, we just tied off a new cable to the old ones and pulled it through. We tested with cable testers before we left. We typically were only called back to replace patch panel to switches which we made for client as well but they moved around at will. What do think of the price/use/value of the link I posted below? It's solid, and fire rated for in wall. I would probably need to get 2 spools.
That cable's fine. If you buy cable from someone on nextdoor or craigslist, bring along a cable tester.