Car thug the other night! Police were amazed with the video.

Illya_Kareoke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Great pic, why do mine always look washed out in the face?

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I had a cop impressed with my analog "1200 TVL" 84 IR camera image, which it looked pretty good for analog, colors and all.
Security cameras are still quite new for home users, very few people expect home owners to have them, except maybe in a really expensive area or something.

So many people have no idea I have cameras, even though they were beyond noticeable lol

TechBill

Known around here
Reaction score
Great pic, why do mine always look washed out in the face?
Wash out in face mean that the camera is set with high exposure. At night time the camera increase exposure to see in the dark better but movement cause it to blur out (white out) the faces. To fix this you would need to lower the exposure but increase the light outside or find a balance between seeing in the dark and lessen the blur on the face which is harder to do in total darkness.

Bill

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The exterior lights really help with night vision. I tell anyone that I install for to use their exterior lighting. Some people do some people don't.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Were the cops able to lift his thumb print just above the handle? Were there any other break-ins/burglaries on your street? How did you find this clip? Do you have an alarm set, or do you just routinely go through the videos to find interesting things?

I ask all these questions, because I've not found a good way to find those 'gotcha' moments. I try to scan through the previous night's video before I even head for my vehicles... just in case someone did what's in your frame grab. I don't want to obliterate prints by getting in the car.

On calm, rain-free, bug-free nights, to go through 10-hours of darkness takes only a minute. But, those are pretty rare, and most recordings are so long, that by the time I get through them, it's lunch time - or I've fallen asleep.

mycoma

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
The police dusted for prints but there were none,he may of used a rag. The good thing is that he has been identified from talking to neighbors kids and someone found his Facebook.
i believe the video was found from reviewing the video, you can increase the speed when watching your videos to make review go faster....

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Thanks for the follow up. I wonder if the ID provided by the kids was enough for the police to take action. Hopefully it scared him enough to change his ways (if not, maybe just the 'hood he hits).

The problem with BI, if I FFW at 8x, it progresses too slowly (when there is constant recording). At 16x or higher, each frame represents 30+ seconds - which is more than enough time for someone to walk up to the car, try the lock, and leave - w/o ever showing up on the replay. So I face one of two choices: Go slowly to make sure I don't miss action (and thereby pass out due to boredom - and missing all the action), or review at a fast pace, but miss stuff.

What's weird, especially with BI, when I'm using the activex player on an IE browser, and I click the red record icon, as it's exporting the clip, it appears to be playing at a very fast clip, but it's not skipping frames. IOW, it's very smooth, and complete - just faster. I wish there was a way to replay like that. But that's for another topic.