Car Door Checker-This Is Getting Old Folks

Illya_Kareoke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
No doubt about it, I've got to get a better camera.

whoslooking

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That's a good capture, I'd add another camera with a more powerful zoom.

djangel

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I know the feeling. He did leave some really good prints on your door. It wouldn't hurt to try to get some pictures for future reference in the event he comes back or something happens. The chances are this loser has previous incidents with the law and can easily match a fingerprint latent search. As far as the camera, I would add another one instead of just replacing. Based on the size of your driveway and common entry point for the car door checkers, I'm thinking a second camera with varifocal lens or maybe a bullet with 6mm or 12mm in the same spot of your current one would work great. You can probably use a weatherproof junction box to connect both of them there. Having multiple cameras has proven to be effective for me. (http://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/2582-A-little-victory?referrerid=1262)

Good luck.

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Did you let the police know? Maybe get prints?

Honestly, if this happened in my neighborhood and I didn't know who did it I would print the picture over-sized at Staples. I would then place it on a poster board in my front yard staked, asking people if they know who this guy is. Would scare the ever loving @*#( out of him if nothing else, because you know he lives in the area.

Getting a good face in the dark like that is extremely difficult even with a much better cam, but what you have is enough for anybody who knows him to tell you exactly who he is.

Illya_Kareoke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It looks like the critter is wearing gloves. My phone app woke me when it triggered so I came in and converted down for YT and went back to bed. Last time I was at a loss on how to submit to LE so I created a ABQ CRIME CAM FB page. I guess I'll post the link to the Crime Stoppers FB page.

I can't figure out why the clip didn't record earlier. I have pre-record set to 7 seconds. Also, there is a security flood that didn't trigger, Ill have to check that.

Thanks for the advise on the second cam, I had planned on ordering one of milks CMIP1142W-28 4mp turret's today. I already have the POE cat6 run. Now am undecided if the 2mp or 3mp might be better in my low light situation.

LittleBrother

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I can't figure out why the clip didn't record earlier. I have pre-record set to 7 seconds. Also, there is a security flood that didn't trigger, Ill have to check that.
Uh oh! You are flirting with danger on this; sounds like you are trying to record only on motion. What happened is that the pre-record didn't kick in because it probably didn't properly detect motion until after a legitimate motion had occurred.

You should be recording 24/7 with any video system. Using motion detection is helpful for alerts or helping identify bits on a timeline, but it is not reliable. There have been people burned worse than you when a motion event completely failed to go and they didn't capture anything.

djangel

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Uh oh! You are flirting with danger on this; sounds like you are trying to record only on motion. What happened is that the pre-record didn't kick in because it probably didn't properly detect motion until after a legitimate motion had occurred.
Yeah, this is very true. That's why I decided to get an NVR for 24/7 recording and have BlueIris on a PC for motion recordings and redundant captures, not to mention the flexibility and features it offers. It just depends on your budget, but having 24/7 especially in areas of interest is important IMO.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
What were you using to record the video?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
It's Blue Iris 4 on my Surface 3 128G 4G wired to my crummy Foscams.
You need to disable object detect reject in the motion tab...also, remember that pretrigger is set in frames...so if you want 7 seconds on a 15fps camera it must be set to 105..
Also if you are recording direct to disk, set your cameras iframe interval to match the fps...d2d only begins recording when a full frame is sent.
What is your make time?

Illya_Kareoke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You need to disable object detect reject in the motion tab...also, remember that pretrigger is set in frames...so if you want 7 seconds on a 15fps camera it must be set to 105..
Also if you are recording direct to disk, set your cameras iframe interval to match the fps...d2d only begins recording when a full frame is sent.
What is your make time?
I had it all wrong then, couldn't find iframe interval. Make time is 1 second.
~

Attachments

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I had it all wrong then, couldn't find iframe interval. Make time is 1 second.
~
In that camera its the key frame...so you have it set right...make the changes in blue iris, if you want 7 seconds in your case it should be set to 70....also dont forget about object detect reject, its very important to disable it.

badmop

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I remember the video scene from "does this look suspicious" video thread. That guy leaning in like he did was trying to keep his body far back away to prevent motion or something. He had some goal in mind by leaning in while checking the doors. Maybe to get away quicker, but to me that'd make it harder to run away quickly if someone caught him out there.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
@Illya_Kareoke Post a screen shot of your motion tab...You might want to increase the max bitrate of the webserver (if you use it) to 2048.

Illya_Kareoke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
In the second night setting I deselected the object detect/reject. It was on last night.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
In the second night setting I deselected the object detect/reject. It was on last night.
Ok, you might want to increase the make time to at least 0.7 otherwise you will get tons of alerts (the object detect was preventing triggers, both false and positive ones (causing you to miss valid motion events))
Also I would increase the end trigger/break time to at least 15-30 seconds, in both profiles.

Illya_Kareoke

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok, you might want to increase the make time to at least 0.7 otherwise you will get tons of alerts (the object detect was preventing triggers, both false and positive ones (causing you to miss valid motion events))
Also I would increase the end trigger/break time to at least 15-30 seconds, in both profiles.
Thanks Fenderman, I changed the settings as you suggested. I'm also going to install lower watt bulbs instead of the flood and point them down. We need them when getting home after dark.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Try using standard bulbs that spread the light all over.. Use 60w equivalent led bulbs...

Sent via Taptalk