Captured: ATM Heist

cordes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The bank behind my house was targeted for an attack on their ATM. This is something which is going around the area right now. This video allowed the police to end the search for someone who may have ran when they showed up. When zooming in, it's easy to see that they person is hooking something up to the ATM in order to rip the door off the front. I have no intention of surveilling the bank, so I'm thrilled with the result of this video. My main intent is to keep an eye on the alley immediately in front of my driveway.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
What stands out to me more than anything is 1) it's not the wee hours of the morning like 2 or 3 AM it's barely after 9 PM and 2) the number of times he drove around, backed up, went around again, tried a different angle, a different direction, etc. before he committed to a plan of action.

According to the "Official Illegal Procurement Guide, 2023 Edition", one should pre-plan the heist ahead of time so that upon arrival on scene to do the deed you go right to the first step of the plan, spending as little time as possible at the scene to help mitigate discovery and possible arrest.

But then again, I guess that's an unfair assumption on my part that all thieves can read. I detest thieves. :angry:

Last edited:

MrSurly

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Cool Video!

I am thoroughly perplexed by this statement:
"This video allowed the police to end the search for someone who may have ran when they showed up. "

What does that even mean? Did the police apprehend someone or no?

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Cool Video!

I am thoroughly perplexed by this statement:
"This video allowed the police to end the search for someone who may have ran when they showed up. "

What does that even mean? Did the police apprehend someone or no?
Probably means that if there was no video there may have not been proof that the driver attempted to break the ATM machine....it would have just be "loitering".

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Official Illegal Procurement Guide, 2023 Edition
That guidebook seems to be the go to. A professional robbery crew targeted a house here. My system recorded them coming through on a prior day to survey the area. On the actual day of heist attempt, they even posted spotters and modified their license plate.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
According to the "Official Illegal Procurement Guide, 2023 Edition", one should pre-plan the heist ahead of time so that upon arrival on scene to do the deed you go right to the first step of the plan, spending as little time as possible at the scene to help mitigate discovery and possible arrest.
I came across a video on Youtube where police made traffic stops and found once in a lifetime opportunities for an arrest. 90+ down the interstate with a trunk full of cocaine. Failure to signal with a dead body in the trunk. That type of stuff.

The commentator said: "Don't commit a misdemeanor when you've committed a felony."

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I came across a video on Youtube where police made traffic stops and found once in a lifetime opportunities for an arrest. 90+ down the interstate with a trunk full of cocaine. Failure to signal with a dead body in the trunk. That type of stuff.

The commentator said: "Don't commit a misdemeanor when you've committed a felony."
And make sure all your auto lights work and are in use as applicable (head, tail, 3rd brake light up high, turn signals, license plate, etc.) no cracked or busted windshield/windows, no clear/white light showing through a busted tail light lens, etc. Observe the speed limit (not too slow, not too fast) and all traffic laws, signal lane changes a safe 200 ft. in advance, FULL STOP at stop sign, etc, etc. :cool:

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
Well, the vehicle is a Jeep Cherokee. Maybe a Grand Cherokee. The video does show that they were indeed trying to break into the ATM. No loitering.

cordes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the comments, guys.

To answer some of the questions:

I live in a small town with a very short response time. The police were called and the police were there in a minute or so. My neighbor saw him from her porch and called 911.

They got away. Without making this about politics, the state police (they drove by a state police district headquarters) refused to assist, and our county/town turned it over to the county to our north. They're not nearly as interested in chasing people at 100+mph as our fine officers. This has been happening a lot over the last few weeks in towns throughout our region.

The video assisted the officer who was first on the scene, in that they weren't sure that everyone was in the vehicle when they initially fled. The video showed that everyone was inside the SUV and there was no threat to the area from anyone left behind. They stopped patrolling for a straggler, and continued with evidence collection, etc.

I taught the officer who first responded when he was in school. I couldn't have been happier when he was hired on, and his excellent work last night only reinforces my high opinion of the man. Though I did give him a hard time about still asking questions, nonetheless.

Last edited:

cordes

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I did see your neighbor's dog looking over the fence. I do not know if that was the same neighbor who called 911.
It was the other neighbor off camera to the right who called. That is the nicest dog which is in the video. She'll bark, but is way too friendly. I wish my Neapolitan Mastiff was still around. He would have had a grand time last night.

robpur

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
According to the "Official Illegal Procurement Guide, 2023 Edition"
This made me wonder if such a satirical publication existed, but sadly Google is unaware of it. Such a guide could be an entertaining read :)

CaptainCrunch

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
And make sure all your auto lights work and are in use as applicable (head, tail, 3rd brake light up high, turn signals, license plate, etc.) no cracked or busted windshield/windows, no clear/white light showing through a busted tail light lens, etc. Observe the speed limit (not too slow, not too fast) and all traffic laws, signal lane changes a safe 200 ft. in advance, FULL STOP at stop sign, etc, etc. :cool:
Every time I get behind someone and they start following 100% of the traffic laws, I assume they're probably dirty and they don't want to get caught. Very few people follow 100% of the traffic laws 100% of the time.