Cantonk KIP-TC20

Bazooka302

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have a Hikvision ds-2cd2532f-iws that has a stuck IR cut filter, so I'm looking for a replacement (unless someone has a fix). I like the small mini-dome form factor, so I've been looking at these Cantonk cameras:

http://www.cantonk.com/Info/View_pro.asp?id=1125

My questions are... does anyone have any personal experience with these cameras? I need at least 2MP, but the viewing distances are 12' or less, so I'd trade better night vision for more MP's. The camera has quite a few sensor and processor options, not sure which is the best choice. I'm also concerned with IR reflections off the dome, a problem the Hikvision certainly does not have. Lastly, the camera is spec'd with a 3.6mm lens, the Hikvision with a 2.8mm lens in 1080P 16:9 mode gives me about 98 deg view angle which I really need. I've asked Cantonk if they can supply wider angle lens, but have not gotten an answer back yet. I may just buy another Hikvision, but the price of the Cantonk is way less, and I'm impressed with the night vision images of the other turret Cantonks I have.

Joe

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
I doubt you will get any feedback on this particular cam, it's fairly new. I can give you a little feedback on sensors though. I have 3 Longse (aka Cantonk) and aside from firmware quirks they all been rock solid. IMX178 is the best sensor you can get, but it doesn't come in this housing. I also have cams with IMX124 and IMX322 sensors. IMX322 is the second best. I am not familiar with IMX291 which might be worth trying out, but definitely would avoid OV4689 as night vision will not be as good as the other sensors. (more pixels and smaller size sensor). Frankly all the sensors options they have will be miles better then what you had in Hikvision 2532F dome. I had the same cam and it had the worst night image out of all Hikivsion 3MP.

In terms of lens options, it's difficult to tell you the angle as I never really measured the angles, but I can tell you that 3MP IMX124 with 2.8mm is wider then Hikvision 3MP 2.8mm turret it replaced or IMX178 with 3.6mm lens only about 10% narrower then Hikvision 4MP with 2.8mm dome it replaced also IMX178 with 3.6mm is slightly wider then IMX322 with 2.8mm-12mm VF. Bottom line the mm lens don't always tell you anything when different size sensors are used.

Longse mini dome:
http://www.longse.com/Info/View_pro.asp?id=1018

Here is someone posted feedback on OV4689 4MP camera:

https://www.ipcamtalk.com/showthread.php/10303-Cantonk-4MP-Camera

Last edited by a moderator:

Bazooka302

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks. This video of I'm guessing a Longse camera with IMX291 looks pretty clean. For the price I might just give it a try. Does the Longse firmware allow separate day/night image settings? The first turret I bought was Longse, but when I went to order more, Eddie wanted min 10 units, so I went to Cantonk.

Joe

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks. This video of I'm guessing a Longse camera with IMX291 looks pretty clean. For the price I might just give it a try. Does the Longse firmware allow separate day/night image settings? The first turret I bought was Longse, but when I went to order more, Eddie wanted min 10 units, so I went to Cantonk.

Joe
I thought you said you already have Cantok camera, so you should know there is a no separate day/night image settings. Even Hikvision doesn't have that.

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
Hik has separate day/night settings. Not completely unique but they way they do it is fairly good.

stoney7713

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I've tested 2 Cantonk speed domes side by side, one with the IMX322 (2MP) and one with the OV4689 (4MP), overall I think the IMX322 is better. The OV4689 does have suitable night image but not as good as the IMX322 when IR is on. Off it's a toss up, I have looked at both and the IMX tend to win but there are situation where the OV looked better and less noise overall. The OV is not horrible, it's good, but if I had a choice I would go with IMX322.

As for the difference between 2MP and 4MP, yes double the MP but you can't really tell unless you zoom way in on the picture. By the time you notice the difference, you can't tell what you are looking at anyway.

I really don't think the trade off for 2MP to 4MP is worth it a hype of more MP. Maybe 5MP+ would be worth the trade off of more MP, I don't have any cams higher than 4MP at the moment.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Hik has separate day/night settings. Not completely unique but they way they do it is fairly good.
Wow, we must be using different "Hikvision" cameras, the day/night setting is gimmick in mine the only control it has is sharpness/brightness/Hue which basically useless. I wonder if it's available in a newer firmware? I wish I could change shutter too.

Last edited by a moderator:

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Ok, just tried and it does save other options as well. I didn't realize this was a feature available all along!

Abbell

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I picked up three of these camera if someone wants me to post a review let me know. I went with the: KIP‐300TC20A
1/2.8" SONY Starvis Backilluminated
CMOS Sensor
External POE +5USD

I am still getting a feel for these cameras. Some of the build I like and some I don't.