Can't send email from NVR NR32P8-8 V4.30.005/210413

hackR

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi...new here...but have learned a lot from reading and implementing an older WINIC NR32P8-8 with this forum's help...
This summer i upgraded the older firmware from a 3.x version to 4.30.005/210413...following the advice to upgrade in steps...
Some quirks, but more stable...
Email setup is a problem...I use an RR email via spectrum - and use pop to send/receive...on all computers, phone, etc...this does not require encryption or authentication...
No matter what i try, it simply can't get past "test failed"...
The NVR is ip 192.168.1.3 and the main router is 192.168.1.1 ...doesn't work when i auto-configure DNS for 192.168.1., or manually use 8.8.8.8 or the DNS from spectrum...
I am using guarding vision app - and that is fine...
Is this firmware related - or something else?...
if the firmware is unstable should i upgrade to another release?...if so, what...
thanks...R

NVR_settings_2.png

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Using my Google Fu it seems there's been MANY changes and subsequent issues the past year with several associated Spectrum brands due to corporations changing hands, being bought/sold, etc.
  • What are the pop in/out server names and ports you are using now that works "....on all computers, phone, etc....." ?
  • What is your working e-mail address after your user name, i.e. "username@rr.com" ?

hackR

n3wb
Reaction score
pop-server.twcny.rr.com port 110
smtp-server.twcny.rr.com port 25
user@twcny.rr.com
no encryption
no authentication

**when i was on the initial 3.x version, this worked for me...but this updated 4.3 version does not...

*** I've also tried the IMAP recommendation from spectrum below - to no avail:

Username: Your full Spectrum email address
Password: Your Spectrum email password
SSL: On
Protocol: IMAP
IMAP Port: 993
SMTP Port: 587
Requires Authentication: Yes, or checked
Incoming Email Server: mail.twc.com
Outgoing Email Server: mail.twc.com

**** I do see a reference on Spectrum's IMAP settings page that SMTP requires connection security of STARTTLS...but my version of firmware only shows SSL/TLS...

thanks...R

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
**** I do see a reference on Spectrum's IMAP settings page that SMTP requires connection security of STARTTLS...but my version of firmware only shows SSL/TLS...
Your NVR f/w only supporting SSL/TLS might just be the problem. If port 465 instead of 587 still does not work, you may have to consider creating a free Google e-mail account and set Google up to allow less secure apps in order for the NVR to log into Google and send an e-mail.

hackR

n3wb
Reaction score
confused...what version of email does the NVR firmware support - POP, SMTP?...this worked before using POP under version 3.x...wouldn't the NVR software require the use of one of the other...in the 3.x version, i didn't select encryption or authentication...

currently, i don't use IMAP on webmail, outlook or smartphone - just use POP...

(trying to understand...any help is appreciated)

R

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I can't say for sure, but based on what you said:
  • The new firmware only provides SSL/TLS on the outgoing SMTP
  • Spectrum requires the use of STARTTLS on the outgoing SMTP
So that may be the problem. BTW, both POP3 and IMAP use SMTP for the OUTGOING mail.

alastairstevenson

Staff member
Reaction score
upgraded the older firmware from a 3.x version to 4.30.005/210413
I'm presuming your NVR is a Hikvision OEM product.
I'm using an older firmware V4.22.005 build 191208 on a DS-7616NI-K2 with email alerts working OK via smtp.gmail.com with these settings.
But gmail needs 'allow insecure devices' set.

1638827766947.png

hackR

n3wb
Reaction score
will try my gmail account later tonight...but confused by this...
when using 3.x firmware i used smtp-server.twcny.rr.com with port 25 - no authentication and encryption for SMTP - and it worked with this NVR...this is also what i currently use on my smartphone, webmail and outlook...however, spectrum also recommends mail.twc.com with port 587 - with authentication and encryption for SMTP...however the encryption for mail.twc.com is STARTTLS...with the upgrade to 4.30.005, my older settings won't work...why would that be?!

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
..however the encryption for mail.twc.com is STARTTLS...with the upgrade to 4.30.005, my older settings won't work...why would that be?!
Because as stated in my post #6 above, you previously said "....the new firmware only provides SSL/TLS on the outgoing SMTP".

Now it's me that is getting confused ! :rolleyes:

Last edited:

hackR

n3wb
Reaction score
Now it's me that does not understand.:rolleyes:
sorry for the confusion...

I currently use smtp-server.twcny.rr.com on port 25 with no encryption and no authentication...on all devices...and it's what i used with the older 3.x firmware...spectrum also says that one can use mail.twc.com on port 587 with STARTTLS encryption and authentication...i don't get that they have (2) methods that work...that said, not sure smtp-server.twcny.rr.com doesn't work...i may need to call spectrum...

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
....i may need to call spectrum...
If no joy, I'd consider a free Gmail account just for outgoing messages from the NVR as I suggested in Post #4 and @alastairstevenson mentioned in Post #7.
Sure, that might be just a band-aid but it also might solve the issue where the NVR cannot send any e-mails.

hackR

n3wb
Reaction score
If no joy, I'd consider a free Gmail account just for outgoing messages from the NVR as I suggested in Post #4 and @alastairstevenson mentioned in Post #7.
Sure, that might be just a band-aid but it also might solve the issue where the NVR cannot send any e-mails.
it now works!...you both were right!!...and thank you!!!...

i set the outgoing sender info to my gmail account with smtp.gmail.com and port 587...used my gmail account and password with enabled SSL/TLS encryption and authentication...receiver was set to my twcny.rr.com email name and address...

@TonyR --> thanks for your service to the USA!

Kevin Doe

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I read through this thread to help myself setup the emails from the Dahua NVR. I did similar to you. I setup a new gmail account just to send the emails to my regular gmail account. The test works, and I get the email. I have the Dahua cams plugged into the PoE port, have the IVS rule setup with "send email" box checked. When an event is triggered, the NVR captures it like it should, but I don't get the email of the IVS event. Did you have to do anything else to get the emails working for IVS events?

hackR

n3wb
Reaction score
didn't do anything else after the "test succeeded" verification...but i am sending to my twcny.rr.com and not a gmail account...there's a reference above to this setting for gmail accounts: 'allow insecure devices' to be checked...