Cant get plates with nightvision on Hikvision LPR camera

nzoomed

n3wb
Reaction score
Have a couple of these cameras with great results on one site, but another i cant seem to have any luck reading the plates at night, no matter what settings I try to apply.
Any ideas here?
Model is iDS-2CD7A46G0/P-IZHSY
Ive been using only 1/200th of a second exposure and 50% IR on my first camera with great results, surprised its even working with such a slow shutter speed, but with the same settings on my second camera, i had no luck, so tried tweaking things a bit.
I believe 1/2000th of a second is what you need at night which means more IR is probably required too, but anyway ive been getting similar results to this no matter what exposure and IR combinations ive used.
Any ideas? This is at 1/500th of a second and 50% IR.

Attachments

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
You are getting too much light reflection. Maybe lower the IR and up the shutter speed. There may be some other things going on as well.

richardgohth

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You are getting too much light reflection. Maybe lower the IR and up the shutter speed. There may be some other things going on as well.
huh?
not enuf light, camera auto reduce resolution reduction and too noisy.
whats wrong with original 1/200 and 50%? can post some photos?
increase shutter time until motion blur, then increase IR.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
huh?
not enuf light, camera auto reduce resolution reduction and too noisy.
whats wrong with original 1/200 and 50%? can post some photos?
increase shutter time until motion blur, then increase IR.
If you look at the license plate itself there is too much reflection from the light source(s). IMHO the purpose of the camera is to capture the license plate number. Also, I am not familiar with that particular camera. Have you tried a 1/2000 shutter speed and maybe 15% on the IR?

nzoomed

n3wb
Reaction score
Yeah i wondered that.
Something just dropped in my mind that there is another camera that's not mine nearby that could be scattering Infrared everywhere, I'm going to see if I can block it and test again tonight.
It doesn't look like it's even being used anymore so will hit up the owner to see what the story is.

nzoomed

n3wb
Reaction score
If you look at the license plate itself there is too much reflection from the light source(s). IMHO the purpose of the camera is to capture the license plate number. Also, I am not familiar with that particular camera. Have you tried a 1/2000 shutter speed and maybe 15% on the IR?
Looked at it last night, the best I can get is 20% IR at 1/2000.
The other camera was scattering some IR, but not enough to make any observable difference, that being said, it might still be worth shutting it off, i did my tests with a cover over that camera and the results appear the same with or without the cover on.
Here is a screenshot below, the plates come in clearer when the vehicle is moving slower. At faster exposures, there appears more noise on the image.
Here is a screenshot of it moving slow.
I also captured another plate later that was a total blur, so not sure what else I can do, seems ok when we test, but perhaps different angles are affecting it?
slow.jpg
and the next one which is moving at a more typical speed.
fast.jpg