Cant get 4K Modulator to detect ip stream from Axis Cam

Mr.Feeny

n3wb
Reaction score
I have networking / IT experience but minimal AV/IP camera experience so please excuse my ignorance here and any help is greatly appreciated.. I really need to use the gear I bought because it was expensive, cant return and am running out of time..

I have a Blonder Tongue 4K Modulator (manual here). It is supposed to accept ip video streams and convert them to RF so they can be sent to TVs via coax, but I can't get it to detect the IP streams.. It has very basic configuration options: IP, Port and Protocol (the two protocol options are UDP and RTP). I have got the Axis camera configuration to the point where I can just type in the http ip : port into my browser and immediately I get the camera stream in a web page without logging in (anonymous viewing) but this does not work somehow if I enter the same IP and port into the modulator config and choose UDP.. (which I understand http should work via udp(?)).

I was trying to avoid using multicast so have just been going for Unicast which in theory should work.. and I only have one device that needs the stream. But I can do multicast on this network if necessary.

I contacted both Axis and Blonder Tongue support: Axis says that the device must be able to accept a URL as the source not just IP and port so it knows how to decode the stream correctly and that the device would need to accept RTSP not RTP because they just send files over RTP whereas RTSP has the actual video stream.. And Blonder Tongue says in that case this device will not work because it only accepts RTP..

Now I am going off of the assumption that the support guys could be incorrect, as I have seen that a lot, or maybe this can be hacked some way and it would just be a non-standard setup..

It seems like the SSM "Specific source multicast" option from Axis should work because it is just specifying a multicast address and RTP port..?

SO is there any way to get a stream from an Axis camera using only IP and port over UDP or RTP without the use of URL decoding??