Cannot connect to camera through PoE switch...

Moonville

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm in the process of setting up the BI PC, the PoE switch, and the Dahua cameras. The switch is a Brocade ICX 6430-24P.

If I connect the camera directly to the PC I can open a browser and access it at 192.168.1.108. If I connect the camera to the PoE switch it cannot be found using a browser, IP scanner, or Dahua config tool (assuming I'm using those last two correctly, which is assuming a lot). The port status LEDs on the switch appear to indicate as if it's working properly, the camera is getting power, and I know the cables are good. I also rebooted and reset the switch.

The back story...

I had originally set up the camera (changed the IP address of the camera to 172.27.72.11) and had it running it through the switch successfully. In the interim I did things like some configuring BI, set up a second Dahua camera, messed around trying to get two TOP-201 cameras to work, and replaced the fans in the switch.

I don't remember/know at which point the switch stopped working because of all the messing around, plus one week had passed. The fact that I don't know what I'm doing doesn't help.

I came back to continue setting up the system and because I could not find the camera no matter what I tried, I reset the camera so I could find it at its default address.

Suggestions, please on how to troubleshoot why the PoE isn't working? I tried to figure out how to find the switch's IP address but got nowhere.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
What are the network card settings on the BI machine?

Try again with only one camera, and the BI machine connected to the switch

Moonville

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
What are the network card settings on the BI machine?
DHCP is disabled - does this screenshot tell you what else you need to know? I'm already trying with only one camera.

Capture.PNG

Moonville

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
As @sebastiantombs pointed out, the switch you have is not plug an play, it requires some configuration before it will meet your needs
I want to make sure that getting into CLI stuff is necessary because the switch did work for me at first. Is there anything else to try before I brace myself for CLI work?

And thanks for the YT link - that short video appears to be more useful to me than the others I had already found.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
You shared: PC to camera directly via Ethernet cable, you can access the camera. When you add the switch to the mix, you cannot. With success of the former, this helps confirm your PC and camera IP configs are good. That leaves focusing attention on the switch. At the least you should establish access to the management interface(s) of the switch, for your own piece of mind.

Does the switch host any other connections besides your BI box, and cameras?

Moonville

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have four questions regarding accessing the console management interface:

1. It appears I need to buy a console cable - is that correct?

IF it ends up the switch needs to be configured
2. How will I know if the switch needs to be configured? I had pressed the RESET button, so does that mean it will need to be configured regardless?

3. What IP address do I assign it - any valid LAN-side address of my choosing and not already in use?

4. What other configuring do I need to do to the switch?

Note:
it will not take too much to assign all ports to the same VLAN and save it
I don't have a VLAN set up.

SpacemanSpiff

Known around here
Reaction score
Do a search here on IPCT for Brocade switch and see what you find...
thanks to @elwood...

elwood

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
First, change your BI network card to "obtain an IP address automatically" and then plug it directly to the switch. You should get an IP address which you can then determine the switches IP from. Let us know what happens.

Moonville

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
First, change your BI network card to "obtain an IP address automatically" and then plug it directly to the switch. You should get an IP address which you can then determine the switches IP from. Let us know what happens.
I changed the network card, right-clicked on that card in Network Connections, chose Status > Details and I see 169.254.149.226, mask 255.255.0.0. Now what?

elwood

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I changed the network card, right-clicked on that card in Network Connections, chose Status > Details and I see 169.254.149.226, mask 255.255.0.0. Now what?
When did you press the reset button? When you first received the switch or after making adjustments and the cam stopped working?

Are the fans much louder than usual? If you power cycle it, do the fans quiet down significantly after a few minutes or they never change?

Moonville

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
When did you press the reset button?
I pressed the reset button after I found I could not connect to the camera and had tried a lot of other things in an attempt to get the camera back - IOW, a last-ditch effort.

Are the fans much louder than usual? If you power cycle it, do the fans quiet down significantly after a few minutes or they never change?
I replaced the factory fans with new ones which are MUCH quieter (and move a lot less air). They respond just as the factory fans did - they are on high upon bootup and slow down after 10 or 20 seconds (just guessing) to their 'idle' speed.

elwood

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I pressed the reset button after I found I could not connect to the camera and had tried a lot of other things in an attempt to get the camera back - IOW, a last-ditch effort.

I replaced the factory fans with new ones which are MUCH quieter (and move a lot less air). They respond just as the factory fans did - they are on high upon bootup and slow down after 10 or 20 seconds (just guessing) to their 'idle' speed.
I'm going to assume pressing reset changed everything back to default settings in which DHPC is not enabled nor is it assigned an IP. I think you're going to need a console cable. I'll research the out-of-band management port but i'm not 100% it'll help in this case. Does your PC get assigned an IP address when connected to the OOB port? Anything besides 169.*

Moonville

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Does your PC get assigned an IP address when connected to the OOB port?
I may be confused by that question - here's what I did: I plugged the Ethernet cable from the PC's 2nd NIC into the OOB port, rebooted the PC and the IP address on the 2nd NIC is still 169.254.149.226. Is that the way you meant?

elwood

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I may be confused by that question - here's what I did: I plugged the Ethernet cable from the PC's 2nd NIC into the OOB port, rebooted the PC and the IP address on the 2nd NIC is still 169.254.149.226. Is that the way you meant?
Disregard it for now. I apologize but i'm by no means an expert so i'm somewhat learning as we go myself... Depending on which firmware version the ICX has installed, the reset switch can either erase all settings or simply reboot the switch, apparently. I'm going to assume it reset things back to default which erased the static IP it was assigned by the owner before you, i guess.

Do you have a regular router or modem nearby? Get an extra ethernet cable and plug any of the 1-24 ports to your internet router and then plug your BI PC to the Brocade switch 1-24. What's the IP address on your BI PC after that?

Also, you don't need to go through an entire reboot to force the NIC to renew/ask for an IP address. Unplugging/plugging the cable it should grab an IP address fairly quickly (within 2-5seconds?) unless there is no DHCP server available, then it will take a bit to timeout (10-15 seconds?) and it will automatically assign itself a 169* IP address.

You can force an IP renewal a few different ways. Probably the easiest is to just disable and then re-enable the adapter in 'Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network Connections'. Another way is via a command prompt: WIN+R > type CMD > hit ENTER, type IPCONFIG /RENEW and hit ENTER. This will renew all adapters currently active.

Last edited: