Cannot achieve smooth recordings

Desertsweeper

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have 12 HikViison Cameras of varying types and all exhibit the same symptom in BI - they pause every few seconds. You can both observe it in real-time and in recordings. And the system is no slouch - idling at sub 5% most of the time. I am trying to get smooth recordings so i can calculate the approximate speed of vehicles by time from known marker-to-marker but this is not possible with this behaviour as the clock keeps ticking with identical frames at the "pauses".
Typical example: DS-2CD2683G2-IZS at 3840*2160 with variable BR and 20 FPS with 20 i-Frame-interval with Mx BR set to 8192 and using H.264 - latest firmware V5.7.10 build 220830
Every few seconds both the live view and recording just pauses repetitively
BI is set to use the secondary-stream for live and is direct-to-disc. Increased buffer all the way up to 40MB and tried Decoder Compatibility Mode. Hardware Decode is Intel+VPP
SystemSpec:
Dedicated Intel Core i7-12700K with 32GB DDR4-3200 Low-latency RAM. Windows installed to dedicated 250GB primary NVMe Drive. Databse is also on the primary drive. The BI NEW primary drive is a super-fast RAID-0 2TB NVMe drive (2x1TB Samsung drives) and that offloads to STORED: an 18TB Seagate 7,200RPM EXYNOS Drive. There is an unused NVIDIA GTX 1650 Super installed, which I am planning to use with DeepStack at some point. The box runs headless with a dummy HDMI dongle and I access it via licensed Teamviewer v13. But even when not accessing the recordings exhibit the symptoms.
OS is Windows 10 pro 22H2 fully Service Packed and BI release 5.6.2.10 x64
The CPU rarely goes above 5%
I did not have this problem with BI 4 on way lesser hardware
Cameras are connected to a Cisco Gigabit PoE Switch
Anyone have any ideas I can try? Thank you

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Try turning Hardware decode to off both globally and in each camera setting in BI.

Around the time AI was introduced in BI, many here had their system become unstable with hardware acceleration on (even if not using DeepStack or CodeProject). Some have also been fine. I started to see that error when I was using hardware acceleration.

This hits everyone at a different point. Some had their system go wonky immediately, some it was after a specific update, and some still don't have a problem, yet the trend is showing running hardware acceleration will result in a problem at some point.

However, with substreams being introduced, the CPU% needed to offload video to a GPU is more than the CPU% savings seen by offloading to a GPU. Especially after about 12 cameras, the CPU goes up by using a GPU and hardware acceleration.

My CPU % went down by not offloading to a GPU.

It is best to just use the GPU now for AI and use substreams for BI.

Also confirm you left enough freespace on your NEW drive and that it isn't choking trying to overwrite and record at same time.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
There could be write latency in the motherboard Striping of the Raid 0..have you tried Drive C:\ solo? no raid?

when you say "offload" does that mean you are writing the recordings to a location, AND then "moving" /rewriting (another read /write execution) to this Gihugic drive?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Provide a network diagram.

Does the camera traffic pass thru your router ?
The BI machine and the cameras should connect to the same switch, camera traffic does not pass thru the router.

You should not use a raid for the Video files.

Desertsweeper

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you all for the suggestions! Yes the POE switch does go through my router - albeit a high-end SonicWall NSA-series. This weekend I will test the suggestions of removing the RAID and re-organising my switch-infrastructure and not using HW Decode. I have 10GBe capability and so will use that between the switch and the PC and I just bought some Samsung 980pro's cheaply on Amazon Black friday sale to replace the RAID-0 setup.
I have the DBase on the C-Drive and the "New" is on the 2TB Raid-0 array (super fast NVMe but I take your points!) and then when that reaches 80% it goes to the "Move to folder: Stored" which is on the mechanical drive
I will find the gremlin and report back here should anyone else face this issue!