Cannot access Dahua Camera on PC

Reaction score
Okay folks, I was really hoping to avoid this, but I have given it my best shot and I am stumped.

I'll start with my setup:

Dedicated BI PC:

HP Elite Desk 800 G1 SFF
Intel i5-4590
Windows 10 Pro
8GB Memory
125 GB SSD (OS & BI installed)
4TB WD Purple (not installed yet)

POE HUB:
https://www.amazon.com/BV-Tech-Industrial-Switch-Gigabit-Ethernet/dp/B075FZQX14/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1548553902&sr=8-19&keywords=POE+HuB
BV-Tech 10 Port PoE+

IP CAMERAS:

Purchased from Empire Tech
1)IPC-HDW2231R-ZS
2)IPC-HDW5231R-ZE

OTHER:
Connection cables are made with monoprice CAT6 23AWG UTP Solid
I am new to making my own cables and tested with tester multiple times, showing okay.
The computer is connected to LAN/Wifi with a wireless USB device.
POE is connected to the computer directly.
I have read the Wiki and Cliff Notes thru and thru, so hopefully I haven't missed anything obvious.

Setup Process:
I opted to install Dahua Config Tool for initial setup. After plugging in each camera separately into the POE, they were both recognized in the Config Tool. I "Initialized" each camera, changing the password and the IP.

Router Local IPV4 / Subnet:
192.168.1.1 / 255.255.255.0

Computer IP:
192.165.1.15 (set static by the router but within the DHCP range - Sagemcom Fast5260)

Camera 1 IP/subnet/gateway:
192.165.1.60 / 255.255.255.0 / 192.165.1.250 ( set out of range per cliff notes rec)

Camera 2 IP/subnet/gateway:
192.165.1.65 / 255.255.255.0 / 192.165.1.250 ( set out of range per cliff notes rec)

Problem:
I am unable to access the cameras via web browser by entering in the IP's. Blue Iris cannot find them either. In the Config Tool when I try to go to config tab to view each camera I get "connection failed". Config tool does find the camera, and I can change the IP address etc. But nothing more.

Have I missed something obvious? Hoping someone can help me out. Love these forums, and I appreciate anyone taking time to assist!

Regards,

Walker

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
In this case, you'll need to a private subnet that's different from your lan for the cameras and the ethernet port on your computer.

So you could do something like this:
PC Ethernet: 192.168.10.2 / 255.255.255.0 **leave default gateway blank
Camera 1: 192.168.10.11
Camera 2: 192.168.10.12

Let your router handle the wireless interface by dhcp and know that only the blue iris pc will be able to access the camera's web pages.

If you can, you may want to consider running a cable from your router to the poe switch. If you do that, you'd need to address things more like what you first posted.

When you made your cables, hopefully you followed the T568B standard.

Reaction score
In this case, you'll need to a private subnet that's different from your lan for the cameras and the ethernet port on your computer.
So you could do something like this:
PC Ethernet: 192.168.10.2 / 255.255.255.0 **leave default gateway blank
Camera 1: 192.168.10.11
Camera 2: 192.168.10.12
Let your router handle the wireless interface by dhcp and know that only the blue iris pc will be able to access the camera's web pages.
@tangent Thank you....seriously! Created the subnet, and everything is working on web browser and BI perfectly.
Now I can mount these babies tomorrow. :headbang:

If you can, you may want to consider running a cable from your router to the poe switch. If you do that, you'd need to address things more like what you first posted.
I currently have the POE/PC setup in my office, and the router is in the living room. I could move everything so I can hard wire. Could you elaborate briefly on what downsides the wireless setup creates?

When you made your cables, hopefully you followed the T568B standard.
Luckily my google searches lead me to T568B. So cables should be good to go. I just made jumpers so I can test inside the house.

Cheers,
Walker

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I currently have the POE/PC setup in my office, and the router is in the living room. I could move everything so I can hard wire. Could you elaborate briefly on what downsides the wireless setup creates?

Luckily my google searches lead me to T568B. So cables should be good to go. I just made jumpers so I can test inside the house.
For basic recording and viewing on the BI pc there aren't any downsides. The downside is that when you want to view the cameras from any other device in the house or when your away from home it depends on the wifi connection and uses some of your available wifi bandwidth. With a modest number of cams it may work fine for you.

As for making cables, before you crimp make sure that the wires are fully inserted in to the RJ-45 plug, in the correct order, and that the jacket is positioned so that it is clamped in place.
The cable needs to be inserted into the water resistant gland before you crimp the connector in place. You can put a small amount of dielectric grease in the camera's rj-45 jack if you want. A little silicone tape over the gland isn't a bad idea.