Can your Smart PSS REMOTELY playback your cameras that record to their local NFS?

fixingstill

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok. so far I got pass the NFS recording....

Here is my scenario:
I have four Dahua IPC-HDBW2300R-Z and one synology DS215J at home. Synology has 1TB and its NFS is enabled, along with quota, permission stuff. All four cameras created folders in each of their own shares so it is recording. Locally a PC running Smart PSS (both the English and the international versions.) can liveview and playback.
Now I have the router open forwarding all set. Incoming traffic to port 37771 forwarded to port 37777 at the 1st camera, port 37772 forwarded to port 37777 at the 2nd camera, port, etc.
In the office, when I tried to use smart pss to remotely connect to all four cameras, I see all four online and I can liveview them but when I tried to playback, it will give me error message....

Can your Smart PSS REMOTELY playback your cameras that record to their local NFS?

COR35VET at another thread replied back:

You should check what it's trying to access with Wireshark, at home and at work.
Though it'd be better if you set up a VPN on your home network so you can access them over that securely.

I don't have my camera at hand, I'll check it out later with Wireshark, I'm also interested whether it's accessing the NFS share directly or through the cameras.

2016-07-26 17_25_00-.jpg 2016-07-26 17_18_36-.jpg 2016-07-26 17_18_14-Setup.jpg 2016-07-26 17_17_27-Setup.jpg 2016-07-26 17_17_12-.jpg 2016-07-26 17_17_03-.jpg 2016-07-26 17_11_27-SYNOLOGY - Synology DiskStation.jpg 2016-07-11 11_04_52-Setup.jpg 2016-07-11 11_05_10-Setup.jpg

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fixingstill

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Accessing the NFS share directly OR thru the cameras - that is exactly the point. If it is accessing directly and is given the local IP that only the camera sees, then it will fail. VPN will be a good solution (if I don't hit more road blocks.)
I wonder if smart PSS likes that port number change at the router. Maybe because it is set to use a "custom" port 37771 and then the camera reports back to it that it is still on port 37777, then it got confused.
And I wonder if the UDP port 37778 needs to be forwarded too. Maybe I need to upgrade my camera firmware (but I failed to find it.)
I have another camera that has local SD card slot. I will do more testing to see where and why my scenario is not working.

So, if anyone has Smart PSS REMOTELY playbacks your camera that record to their local NFS? Please let me know your detail.

Dahua, if you guys see this, please address. We can be you QA but you need to chip in.

I should start a new thread for this.

cor35vet

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Alright, I've mounted my currently only camera in a location without internet access so I wasn't able to play around with it until now.
So right now the camera is recording via NFS (or how dahua calls it "NAS" lol) to a linux box.
This works great actually and I recommend people to use the cameras this way instead of buying a DVR, well at least I have tons of old PCs/laptops lying around that I can use for the NFS server.

So anyways to help with your problem:
I opened up Wireshark in the background.
I opened the Playback tab in SmartPSS and started a search on the camera.
In Wireshark I could see that SmartPSS was talking to the camera over 37777 TCP.
When you playback a video the client will contact the camera over 37777 TCP again and the camera will begin streaming the video through this port too.

So basically what you are saying should work since there is no other port being used.
But sadly I can't run any more tests for now, maybe I can get one of my small routers and replicate your setup.

What I've also found out to with Wireshark was that the cameras seem to send JSON data to SmartPSS on events, it'd be very cool if I could make my own application that'd playback video on events (on Linux too :))
because the SmartPSS event window can't even be resized....
Time to dig into their SDK

Edit: SDK looks great so far
And there seems to be a new SmartPSS version, 1.14.1

Last edited by a moderator:

fixingstill

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thank you VERY much, cor35vet for the info.
I used another "Genuine" Dahua (that has logo) and everything works fine. It even has some latest firmware that has playback on its GUI. The one that doesn't work is so-called Dahua OEM from amazon. I just talked to the seller and he said he would get me the latest firmware. I will see.

So, guys, firmware is important. Make sure the support is always there. Dahua firmware is not easy to find on Internet (without bricking your camera.)

2016-07-31 08_05_47-Your Orders.jpg

2016-07-26 17_17_27-Setup.jpg

fixingstill

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok. Conclusion. With IPC-HDBW2300R with Eng NTSC version dated 2015-11-06 (the latest I could find), you can't playback (remotely or within LAN) any NAS (NFS) recordings using Smart PSS (English or Int'l version). It will give you an error of "Failed to Start Playback. DHNETSDK returns error."
I am done with these cameras. I need to get some newer ones - ones that have playback feature on the Web GUI.

Last edited by a moderator:

iseeker

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Ok. so far I got pass the NFS recording....

Here is my scenario:
I have four Dahua
IPC-HDBW2300R-Z and one synology DS215J at home. Synology has 1TB and its NFS is enabled, along with quota, permission stuff. All four cameras created folders in each of their own shares so it is recording. Locally a PC running Smart PSS (both the English and the international versions.) can liveview and playback.
Now I have the router open forwarding all set. Incoming traffic to port 37771 forwarded to port 37777 at the 1st camera, port 37772 forwarded to port 37777 at the 2nd camera, port, etc.
In the office, when I tried to use smart pss to remotely connect to all four cameras, I see all four online and I can liveview them but when I tried to playback, it will give me error message....

COR35VET at another thread replied back:

You should check what it's trying to access with Wireshark, at home and at work.
Though it'd be better if you set up a VPN on your home network so you can access them over that securely.

I don't have my camera at hand, I'll check it out later with Wireshark, I'm also interested whether it's accessing the NFS share directly or through the cameras.

View attachment 10179 View attachment 10180 View attachment 10181 View attachment 10182 View attachment 10183 View attachment 10184 View attachment 10185 View attachment 10186 View attachment 10187
Hey - fixingstill - I know an old thread, but how did you enable NFS in synology? Control Panel > File Services > SMB/AFP/NFS, and then enable NFS. What else? Do I point Dahua IP Camera software to my NAS static ip address as the NFS server or do I need a separate computer running linux to act as the server? I know, again, very old, but if you remember....

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.