Can you brick a camera just by connecting to nvr?

Reaction score
I bought a new nvr from Andy, nvr5232-16p-4ks2e. To replace my qsee system. I know I have two Chinese to English hacked cameras that won't work with new nvrs. When I bought them the seller said can't be upgraded, won't work with 4k nvrs. So my plan was leave them attached to qsee, till I can replace them. Hooked the other cameras up to new nvr . One camera with I purchased from Costco or bjs. Failed to connect, when I reattached it to the qsee nvr , it still won't work, doesn't even show as plugged in. I know the new nvr prevent connection with Chinese regional cameras. But doesn't it actually cause the cameras to be unusable?

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
The cameras your purchase from department stores usually aren't true PoE cameras. They use proprietary pinouts and won't work with standard PoE switches.

biggen

Known around here
Reaction score
It's been connected and working on my poe, qsee nvr for the last 5 years. No problems till I connected to newer nvr.
I had trouble following your OP. Sorry. So it was a working camera and you plugged it into the new NVR and now doesn't work on either the new NVR or the old one?

Yeah that is strange. How are you determining it doesn't work? Does the old NVR usually show it connected via an on-screen display?

Reaction score
No problem I tend to write run on sentences. Connected cameras show up on screen with a little picture of an ethernet port in the top left corner of screen. Also cameras show up in settings screen. This shows no sign of being plugged in.

dimonster

n3wb
Reaction score
Can you access your cameras directly using Internet Explorer? Did you try to use ConfigTool to find and connect cameras in your home network?

Reaction score
Can you access your cameras directly using Internet Explorer? Did you try to use ConfigTool to find and connect cameras in your home network?
I unplugged it, because it felt warm to me. Not really sure if it was warmer than usual, as I don't go around feeling them when they work. Planned to try connecting with poe router and laptop. Plugged it in, just for the hell of it suddenly it works. Still doesn't work with new NVR. Bur at least it works with old one again. Thanks