Can switch on Dahua NVR be disabled? Want to access camera via network I.P.

Redbone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
New Dahua POE NVR installed at client aka mom's place. NVR assigning cams internal I.P. addresses of 10.xxxx making it so cams can not be directly accessed via their assigned I.P. addresses. The NVR is attached to a router which has assigned it a I.P. address and I've made that static on the NVR. How do I prevent the POE NVR assigning these cams an internal private I.P. and instead assign a network I.P. allowing me to access them directly?

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
New Dahua POE NVR installed at clients. NVR assigning cams internal I.P. addresses of 10.xxxx making it so cams can not be directly accessed via their assigned I.P. addresses. The NVR is attached to a router which has assigned it a I.P. address and I've made that static on the NVR. How do I prevent the POE NVR assigning these cams an internal private I.P. and instead assign a network I.P. allowing me to access them directly?
Based on this question you should not be installing NVR's for others unless you are doing it for free for a friend or at the very least informing the client that you are a novice. Folks are paying for expertise which you don't have. The question you pose is so fundamental to how NVR's operate that this must be the first unit you have installed.

Redbone

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Based on this question you should not be installing NVR's for others unless you are doing it for free for a friend or at the very least informing the client that you are a novice. Folks are paying for expertise which you don't have. The question you pose is so fundamental to how NVR's operate that this must be the first unit you have installed.
The "client" is my mom, no money for services was exchanged. The cams and NVR function locally and on her phone DMSS app which is all she cares about. This is the second Dahua NVR I installed a non POE NVR is at my place of residence whereby I use a POE switch. Not my FT or PT job but a field of interest.
Helped a two friends with their HIKVISION camera setups, one with 2 camera's and a POE NVR and the other with a single cam using an inline POE injector and micro SD card on cam only. Also purchased Blue Iris for learning purposes.

Last edited:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
The "client" is my mom, no money for services was exchanged. The cams and NVR function locally and on her phone DMSS app which is all she cares about. This is the second Dahua NVR I installed the other non POE NVR is at my place of residence whereby I use a POE switch. Not my FT or PT job.
This is the easiest way to get to your cameras directly

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Agree with all of the above, but you CAN run a Dahua PoE NVR without using the PoE ports. Simply buy an external PoE switch, plug the cameras and the NVR into it and the switch into your LAN. I run a mix of cameras on a couple of NVRs some on the internal PoE ports some on External switch.

Of course you'll need to assign IP's to the cameras on the external switch.

Ri22o

Known around here
Reaction score
Agree with all of the above, but you CAN run a Dahua PoE NVR without using the PoE ports. Simply buy an external PoE switch, plug the cameras and the NVR into it and the switch into your LAN. I run a mix of cameras on a couple of NVRs some on the internal PoE ports some on External switch.

Of course you'll need to assign IP's to the cameras on the external switch.
This was going to be my suggestion as well.

JacquesT27

n3wb
Reaction score
New Dahua POE NVR installed at client aka mom's place. NVR assigning cams internal I.P. addresses of 10.xxxx making it so cams can not be directly accessed via their assigned I.P. addresses. The NVR is attached to a router which has assigned it a I.P. address and I've made that static on the NVR. How do I prevent the POE NVR assigning these cams an internal private I.P. and instead assign a network I.P. allowing me to access them directly?
I know I'm a bit late to the party but this is possible depending on the model of the NVR.
As explained in this Dahua video from the UK&Ireland branch.

In all honesty, I would rather keep the cameras isolated from the rest of the network.
Mainly because you don't have to remove the static IP address your DHCP pool, and you don't have to worry about the additional security risks involved.

Anyway, that's my two cents. Cheers.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Before unplugging a camera ( do 1 at a time for confusions sake- and Murphys law of Cat5 ethernet cables).
You need to reassign the Camera IP addresses in the Camera Gui from 10.10.x.x to a Static IP in the same ip scheme that the Routers gateway is using, ( being handed out by DHCP addressing...( for example mine is 192.168.0.xxx)

1693642117830.png
Get a 16 port POE switch, Make sure everything is going to the switch...NVR, BI PC, and Router, Dont pass cams streams through the router....the switch will handle the traffic and keep your router doing normal shit like DHCP addressing and Wifi connections.
The router should assign everybody residing at the switch an IP address based on the routers default Lan Gateway scheme ( 192.168.0.1 or 1.1 whatever you've got going)
I have my NVR plugged into my POE switch, and my BI Pc into the POE switch all on the same network....the router is upstream from the Cam streams....

ANYWHOOO :)

1693641150648.png
Then use the Blue Icon 1693641312908.png
to get to the cam user interface.
if you get this screen,1693641404457.png

Use IE tab in Chrome or Edge,,,or use Pale Moon 32 bit browser to get to the address the nVR is throwing out...mine looks like this -->On some cams it works fine in chrome, on other cams you need pale moon etc...
surf to this setup part of the cam menu
1693641828065.png
and make your IP static, and assign it an address range for your cams, like 192.168.0.200 thru 254
Then unplug the cam from the NVR and move it to the switch.
Now in the NVR gui Below...Use the Device search menu button to let the NVR find that newly created Static Ip address.
You will have to fiddlefuck around with entering the password again in ( usually in the manual or edit menu)
as you see in my example some cams have a " 10 address and a port#- while the "off NVR" cams have a LAN address and 3777 or 80 port number.

but all that aside....I think DMSS and Amcrest View Pro are the same animal in different skins....and as I recall I could see my cameras in the App
without doing any of this....
and I adjusted my cams using the browser icon in the NVR,,,,leaving the cams isolated in the 10.10 net work scheme....

1693641191809.png

Attachments