Can someone explain how best to clone existing cameras?

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Until Ken comes up with a way to define user-level rights for audio streaming, I need to find a workaround for my current situation.

I have several cameras with audio that I want to keep for my own viewing, but when sharing those (and additional cameras) with other users, I do not want them to have access to the audio of those specific cameras. I don't want to disable audio for all cameras for those users.

So I figured the best approach is to "clone" the sensitive audio cameras, having the master record/stream audio, and share the clone that has audio disabled.

Is there a simple way to clone an existing camera to prevent dual-streaming and additional CPU load?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

After you clone the camera, turn off the audio.

Clones do not use a lot of CPU and no additional network bandwidth

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score

After you clone the camera, turn off the audio.

Clones do not use a lot of CPU and no additional network bandwidth
Thanks SY... That's what I needed. In the interim, I exported and imported the sensitive cameras, resulting in my clones. I disabled audio on them, but now I'm trying to figure out how to hide them from my "all cameras" index view both in the console and in UI3, but not for the users who intend to watch them. First world problems, I know.

I'm thinking I may need to disable my all camera index and create a new group with everything less the clones and call that the new "all camera" index. Not looking forward to opening each camera setting and adding them to a new group. Does BIT or something similar work well with creating/adding bulk cameras to a new group?

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
follow the directions. Check the hidden box on the clone camera general properties tab.

I assign all the clone cameras to a single group , all my clone camera names start with the same letters (BK_)

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
The problem is once I turn on "hidden", then the group of cloned cameras disappears from the users' visibility. I need to have the cloned cameras visible to them, and ideally, only them. I don't want to see two copies of those cameras on my all camera index view.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How are you sharing? Did you create a username and password for them? Do they have BI on their computer?

You can create users that are allowed to only see certain camera groups or other things. Then they will only see the cameras that you have hidden.

Or you make the cameras you want to see into a group just for you and just have those on as opposed to marking them hidden.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
They are credentialed users (actually only one account called "family") and they're limited to certain groups. After cloning, I grouped the cameras, and enabled that group for the user profile. It's visible, but once I mark each of the cameras as hidden, they (and the group) disappear from the family user view (UI3).

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Do not mark them as hidden.

Add all of the cameras you want to see on your screen into a group for you - cameras can be in more than one group.

So maybe set up an erkme73 group with all of your cameras in them, and then in BI or UI3 you call up to see erkme73 camera group and then the clone cameras you do not want to see won't be there. Then the family user would have access to the cloned cameras and would see them since they are not hidden.

erkme73

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Yes, I understand that. The problem is in the way I view all cameras. I never set up an "all camera" group - instead relying on the default, non-grouped "Index" view. In that view, you see all cameras - whether in a group or not. I wanted to filter that view so I wouldn't see the cloned cameras.

The fix for now was to add a new group, called "all" and put all cameras except for the grouped. So long I'm viewing the "all" group, I'm good.