Can i use the SAME Hikvision camera (ANPR) for checking entrance and exit?

black1906

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a Hikvision Camera for ANPR (Hikvision DeepinView Series/IP Camera/ iDS-2CD7A26G0/P-IZHS).
Im using it for checking license plates in a straight corridor for cars. I have a barrier gate in this corridor,and i would like to use it to check both entrance and exit. For entrance, it is working fine as it is close to the camera, but for the exit, my camera constantly misses the license plate (sometimes it works tho).
When entering, cars are somewhere around 3-5 meters from the camera. On exit, cars are somewhere around 7-9 meters from the camera.
I would like to know, is it possible to achieve this? Is there any configuration i should look up to achieve this? Is this distance okay for the camera to work properly?

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes camera can track direction of moving vehicle.

I tested in, it was reading entrance on about 7 meters and exit on about 4 meters. Camera was behind barrier about 9 meters. was looking at plates at 20° and it was set at 1,5m in height.

Sometimes it depends how the camera is installed and if all settings were calibrated depending on location.

Cheers

black1906

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,thanks for the answer.
To be honest, the direction does not matter much to me. What i really need is the actual plate number using the SAME camera for both entrance and exit. So i don't know exactly if my camera is able to get them both properly. I will post a picture below. As of right now, i cant get the exit properly, but i can get the entrance quite well.
(There is part of a wall that is blocking the camera view a lot, i already know about it and im thinking about something to fix it).

I blocked some of the info for security reasons.

Attachments

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you running Blue Iris? If your running blue Iris, you could change the " pretrigger video buffer" to 9 Sec then it will show you the nine seconds prior to the motion detection of the camera. Then you might be able to see something. after the exiting vehicle trips the motion. and you can change the motion sensitivity in BI as well.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Which way are the cars going to exit? It appears that the cars entering pull up to the gate. Those are the easy plates to get.

This appears to be one way? If so, how are the cars traveling to exit? Are they right to left or left to right? If so that will be a hard angle. if they are making a hard turn away from the camera, the gate is in the way.

Some pics of cars entering and exiting would help to determine if what you want is possible.

black1906

n3wb
Reaction score
Which way are the cars going to exit? It appears that the cars entering pull up to the gate. Those are the easy plates to get.

This appears to be one way? If so, how are the cars traveling to exit? Are they right to left or left to right? If so that will be a hard angle. if they are making a hard turn away from the camera, the gate is in the way.

Some pics of cars entering and exiting would help to determine if what you want is possible.
I posted a picture below. I have a indicator on the ground (which is very hard to see on pictures so i drew over it so you gays can see), This is the position the cars should stop so i can get the cameras. I would like to know if the camera is able to do that, but i DO KNOW the position it is right now is very bad. I will move it so it's parallel with the wall very soon, but the scene wouldn't change much.
Is the camera able to get in this distance?
Im new to this, so every tip or config recommendation is very welcome.
I also posted a picture of the Capture area im using

Attachments

black1906

n3wb
Reaction score
The position of camera is really bad :/ . Id recommend using parallel wall with corridor.
Yes i know, it is very bad. I will change it so it's parallel with the wall, but im still not sure if this would give me the best precision,what do you think? If it's on the same place (but parallel with the wall) would it get better performance?

black1906

n3wb
Reaction score
Are you running Blue Iris? If your running blue Iris, you could change the " pretrigger video buffer" to 9 Sec then it will show you the nine seconds prior to the motion detection of the camera. Then you might be able to see something. after the exiting vehicle trips the motion. and you can change the motion sensitivity in BI as well.
I'm not using Blue Iris. I've heard a lot of good things about it but as this project is for my company, is not that simple for me to just buy something and starting using it. Is there a Free Trial so i can check?

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm not using Blue Iris. I've heard a lot of good things about it but as this project is for my company, is not that simple for me to just buy something and starting using it. Is there a Free Trial so i can check?
Yes. It has a fully functional trial mode. The screens will simply have "trial" watermark (or perhaps it says "evaluation") on them. It's annoying enough to prevent people from using it full time, but it is fine for real testing and evaluation situations. Simply download the normal installation file and install it like normal. When/if you decide to buy the license, you simply enter the license number in the BI settings and it will remove the watermark.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK yes if they are both traveling in that corridor, then it should be fine. Granted every vehicle would need a front plate.

black1906

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes. It has a fully functional trial mode. The screens will simply have "trial" watermark (or perhaps it says "evaluation") on them. It's annoying enough to prevent people from using it full time, but it is fine for real testing and evaluation situations. Simply download the normal installation file and install it like normal. When/if you decide to buy the license, you simply enter the license number in the BI settings and it will remove the watermark.
I will try downloading it right now,thanks!

black1906

n3wb
Reaction score
OK yes if they are both traveling in that corridor, then it should be fine. Granted every vehicle would need a front plate.
Yes,in my country every single vehicle have a front plate so this would not be a problem. I would just like to know if this capture distance was okay, and from what im reading it looks like it is.

black1906

n3wb
Reaction score
Hey,i downloaded Blue Iris but i can't find these configs you told me about. Can you please tell me where they are?

black1906

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm configuring the camera, and i have noticed that the "blue capture line" is very precise. The camerar takes a snapshot exactly when the vehicle passes over it. The problem is: To make it work properly on my case (please look at the pictures i posted above), i believe i would need two capture lines. And my camera just gives me the option to use one. I would like to know if there is a way to use two, if there is a firmware update version or something that would allow me to use two capture lines.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If the vehicle is going down that path coming or going, just move the line closer to the bottom (away from the gate). The car isn't going that fast that you need the line right at the gate.

Wouldn't it work with like the line in red?

1647526612707.png

black1906

n3wb
Reaction score
If the vehicle is going down that path coming or going, just move the line closer to the bottom (away from the gate). The car isn't going that fast that you need the line right at the gate.

Wouldn't it work with like the line in red?

View attachment 122393
Well,it would work, but i would like to make it so it could get both plates BEFORE they hit the gate. On this pic of yours, it would get the cars coming in,but wouldn't get them leaving sadly

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
HTF does that camera work LOL. Most of them you draw a trip wire like I did that when the vehicle crosses it, it then triggers and it scans frames while a vehicle is triggering it looking for a plate. Your line is splitting the car in half.

What if you moved the line closer to the gate?

Are you fascinated/stuck with using the onboard ALPR of the camera?

If not, a member here created a plate reader within BI:

trempa92

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This camera have have 2 events under the hood.

In order to read licence plate, it has to recognize vehicle in the first place, If camera is missing vehicle body due to wall it will fail in some moments. Also it is important that for best application entire vehicle needs to be within yellow lines.
So basicly since u use SDK now u can set arming on camera and see both events. First event is vehicle detection(it can detect brand,model and size of vehicle -> u will get json structure), second event is licence plate reading (-> classic SDK event like ACS)

ps: Also blue line is not for direction it is for camera most focused area, it crosses yellow lines horizontally so basicly parallel with licence plates from car.

This is how this model work in total dark. My configuration

1647614421798.pngCropped image

Hopefully owner of this plate wont see this thread :)

Last edited: