Can I add Blue Iris to a Lorex System?

Cropgun

n3wb
Reaction score
Mine is 192.168.x.x. I know that when I go into the NVR and look at the device IP addresses for the cameras, it shows them as 10.x.x.x. But the main NVR IP is the 192 address which is what goes into BI.
Hmm. Okay me too. Just curious. Manually typing the paths into the stream profiles doesn't work either. Strange...

jts2045

n3wb
Reaction score
Assuming I get a dedicated computer and add it to the grand scheme, will a Lorex NVR and associated cameras work with blue iris?

NVR model: N842A82
Camera model: E892AB

I believe they are ONVIF. ONVIF is one of the selectable protocols in the lorex software for manually adding a camera.

I can imagine what you're thinking:

"Return it all and start over!"

No thanks! Definitely not interested in starting all over. I got a pretty good black friday deal on the kit. Then added an additional 2 matching cameras from ebay. I'm considering adding two more lorex cameras of the same make and model, but am exploring maybe different brands and/or a PTZ.

Ultimately I am happy with what I bought. I could leave it alone right now and be satisfied with the set up. But I do like to tinker. I bough the cameras to appease the Mrs for when I work overnights once a month. I have discovered that I enjoy messing with the set up more than I thought I would.

"Why would you want to do that"

Because I like to tinker and like I said, I enjoy playing with this more than I thought. Which is silly because I like tech. I already bought two IR floods that shoot 300-400 ft. Now I'm wanting to mess with PTZ and other brands of cameras for fun/testing. I realize that other brand cameras will work with blue iris thus my curiousity if the lorex stuff will work or if the lorex NVR will record stuff from other brand cameras provided they are ONVIF.
I have BI running on an HP desktop with 11 IP cameras connected. They work great. The are the ONVIF type.

Cropgun

n3wb
Reaction score
@srvfan well still not having much luck. can't for the life of me figure out why I can't get access to the different streams

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@srvfan well still not having much luck. can't for the life of me figure out why I can't get access to the different streams
Well, at this point my luck with my setup seems to be shaky. I keep losing signal to 2 of the cameras running into my NVR. I know my connections are not the issue bc I created the line from sturdy cat6 cable and dropped them myself. I’m thinking about just eliminating the use of the NVR for one camera on the porch so I can use the Lorex app for two way audio. Other than that, I’m about to just replace the other cameras and just a POE switch for those points of view.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
are the connected cameras that are dropping off connected to the POE on the NVR. One of the problems with the NVR is video output processing, there is a limit, if you are near that limit then that may be your problem.

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I misspoke on the previous post. Only one of the cameras are going into the POE of the Lorex NVR. What’s funny is when I use the Lorex app, I’m able to access a perfect picture with no issue. It has got to be something within my setup inside BI.
The other camera that is dropping is a Lorex camera, but is not going to NVR. It is going to a cheap switch with one of those Poe extenders that allows multiple cameras in one line. I think that is another one of my issues. To be honest, it’s no big deal for me bc it’s giving me justification to add new cameras and some new switches.

SouthernYankee

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If you are looking at one camera the processor can keep up. If you are transferring multiple cameras it may not.

srvfan

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If you are looking at one camera the processor can keep up. If you are transferring multiple cameras it may not.
So far I have removed 4 of the cameras that we’re running into the NVR to another switch. 3 are working great. 3 of the 4 cameras I have running into the NVR are working ok. Like I said, I think my best option is to begin changing out cameras. I live on a dead end street and some drunk popped the curb in front of my house and drove through mine and the neighbor’s yard. Picture from the camera was so bad, I could barely make out that it was a white suv. Definitely couldn’t read the license plate. It’s just more fuel to the fire to improve my system :)

Cropgun

n3wb
Reaction score
I misspoke on the previous post. Only one of the cameras are going into the POE of the Lorex NVR. What’s funny is when I use the Lorex app, I’m able to access a perfect picture with no issue. It has got to be something within my setup inside BI.
The other camera that is dropping is a Lorex camera, but is not going to NVR. It is going to a cheap switch with one of those Poe extenders that allows multiple cameras in one line. I think that is another one of my issues. To be honest, it’s no big deal for me bc it’s giving me justification to add new cameras and some new switches.
Ahh, interesting. See all my cameras are straight into the NVR POE ports. I did buy a 4 port swtich to add some cameras to the garage but haven't gotten that far yet. Maybe that's why I can only get one camera.

thebax

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a few locations using the N842A82. What features do you find you are using from the bi? I find using the people detection with targeted motion detect areas to work great. I can search for people detection or vehicle detection using the phone app but not using the desktop software or the NVR admin. Can only the phone app narrow it down?

Osking

n3wb
Reaction score
Ahh, interesting. See all my cameras are straight into the NVR POE ports. I did buy a 4 port swtich to add some cameras to the garage but haven't gotten that far yet. Maybe that's why I can only get one camera.
Hey did adding the port switch end up solving your issue of only connecting 1 camera? Ive read this whole thread and Ive got the same issue. Thanks in advance!

jatgm1

n3wb
Reaction score
HI Cropgun

Check if the cameras can be set to ONVIF protocal - if so:
Should work.. let us know when you can confirm

( Blue Iris machine needs to access the camera's IP .. so you may need a PoE switch unless the NVR can forward the rtsp stream out to the LAN ... )
What ports would I port forward from my lorex system so I can allow my blue iris system to access it remotely to record it? I'm doing this as well but explicitly because this blue iris system will not be on site and is for remote backup.