Can BNC cables be converted, somehow, to connect to POE cameras

saltwater

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
A friend of mine has a two-storey house and he wired his cameras in using BNC wires/cables. Anyway, fast forward a few years and now he wants to upgrade his CCTV system to the POE/NVR/Blue Iris way of doing things. It's not feasible to replace the BNC cables with Ethernet cables (well, not concealed within the walls). What options does he have if he wants to upgrade his cameras to the POE type? What he suggested to me was that he could use the existing BNC cable to provide power to a camera and the cameras can be wireless, I suppose that is one option.

Robert hocevar

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
They do make converters that allow you to use ip cams on coax. I would not go with this option unless it was a last resort. for the cost of the converters you could hire a installer to hide the new wiring. I also run as fast as I can from consumer grade wireless cameras.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah do not use wifi cameras - he would be better off buying newer analog cameras than that.

And the adapters @EMPIRETECANDY suggested work very well. I still use a couple in the two runs that were the most difficult to do the first time. One of these days I will switch the cable, but they do work to get you up and running.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score

TVille

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
LR1002-1ET and LPR1002-1EC can do the job
This. While they are a bit expensive for using on every camera, they work well. I had an application for a long range camera (5241-Z12E, looking 400 feet from the house) from my attic, and had coax going to the attic from my first floor office. I put a pair of these in, and run the camera from the POE switch in the office. This setup powers the remote converter AND camera from the POE switch powering the first converter. I've had it up for several months, and it just works, no glitches, no issues. I plan on installing a switch in the attic and running several cameras from it.

Lawnboy1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I thing it'd be easier to make your own cables and use a POE splitter if necessary.

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
It's better to pull two cables rather than use a splitter. Full power capabilities of the switch are available to both cameras, or camera and device, that way. With a splitter, you's splitting the power capability between two devices.

As Tony always says, when pulling cable N+1.

Lawnboy1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
H
It's better to pull two cables rather than use a splitter. Full power capabilities of the switch are available to both cameras, or camera and device, that way. With a splitter, you's splitting the power capability between two devices.

As Tony always says, when pulling cable N+1.
[/QUOTE

When I started my project I didn't know much. I felt my way through and did a lot of reading to make sure I got it right. So far, so good. Now you've given me something to think about.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
In other words, if you are pulling one cable for one cameras, pull a second just in case you add a camera or other device in the same or in a nearby location.