Can a cam be mounted directly Above or Below a Light source ?

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Just getting ready for my Cam placements and want some ideas before setting temp test stands/Cams
1) Can a cam be mounted directly Above or Below a Light source ? I was wondering if it would get too much wash from Glare.
2) Also what about the Cam facing a Light Source.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, but nobody will tell you to permanently install it without testing it at that location first.

Every light fixture is different and some will provide a glare while others will not.

The biggest issue will be bugs flying around all night.

As far as a cam facing a light source, once you dial in the shutter speed it usually isn't a big deal.

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Thanks -- wittaj I have seen a few post about the Bugs and IR and Lights.
I am getting down to the Pull that Trigger time for buying my Cams. ( I even have the bosses/Wife Approval to open the check book)
Time to strike while the Iron is Hot :D. but not going crazy until I get all my Temps Cam spots and FoV figured out.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Just getting ready for my Cam placements and want some ideas before setting temp test stands/Cams
1) Can a cam be mounted directly Above or Below a Light source ? I was wondering if it would get too much wash from Glare.
2) Also what about the Cam facing a Light Source.
As stated above, a test jig would really prove its worth, IMO.

If you held a gun to my head and said "gimme an answer now", I would mount the cam below the light if it wouldn't cause the cam to be below 7 feet in height above the ground. I think more issues arise when the cam is above the light, in most scenarios.

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Have my test cam all set up..it got Clobbered by a Rouge straight line wind and fell over.
You think a HD bucket and a 8 foot 2 x 4 with concrete half way full would have been enough. Cam took some damage( do not trust it ) so got another coming.

AP514

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Ha...It is still working. I am actually using it on that same Test Setup (my front porch)
Try'n to figure out the FOV. Messing with settings so I can find out what Fixed cam I can use there. will start another Thread for that Q........

Last edited: