Cameras suitable for install in two-gang low voltage box

Virga

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have two-gang low voltage boxes in some locations, that contain an audio control pad for ceiling speakers.
The boxes already have ethernet runs, over which the controls communicate with the audio controller.
Am thinking of repurposing the 2G LV boxes and the existing ethernet runs for cameras and losing the audio control (app does the same thing).
I have such boxes in some spots that will be great for indoor security cameras.

What cameras might work/install in a two-gang box?

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
I have most of my bullet cameras mounted outside on Eaton junction boxes that's aren't even 4x4 like a two-gang box. I just use drywall screws to screw the camera to the cover and then put two smaller screws two help hold the cover to the box. These covers snap on but they need a bit of help from the screws.

Never had an issue with a camera coming loose. Even the hurricane in October that passed 200km from us didn't loosen the cameras. My Color4K/X shook a bit but she held! Being a bigger bullet, she's mounted to this box. Heavier duty than the Eaton boxes and fits enough cable. Has 4 screws to hold the cover on.

So after beating around the bush, I'd say almost any camera can be screwed to a two-gang box. lol

Virga

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I was thinking inside the box.
Perhaps it would have to be a purpose-built camera, so this coudl be a long term project until such time that Dahua or someone else thinks its worth their while.

Virga

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
At this rate of box-escapees, the box will stay empty.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
I was thinking inside the box.
Perhaps it would have to be a purpose-built camera, so this coudl be a long term project until such time that Dahua or someone else thinks its worth their while.
I'll measure the base of a bullet I have lying around. It would definitely fit inside a box but you'd be limited at how to much movement you'd get to adjust the positioning.

Virga

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
A mini bullet might work, though one has to figure out how to mount it behind a wall plate, and how to get decent air circulation to move heat from the camera out of the enclosed box.

jarrow

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What about a pinhole camera: IPC-HUM4231
1678347650744.png
Only downside is that it isn't POE, so you'd need to supply 12V from somewhere.
Case itself is only 1.22" x 1.22" (31 x 31 mm)