Cameras randomly dropping out on B.I.?

juliand

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've done nothing new with my setup for quite a while, and now random cameras are going off line, and sometimes coming back on.
Think I have a switch going bad?
3 cams on one switch, have another switch connected to another port, with 2 on that one.
At first, one of the 2 on the extended poe+ switch was erroring, then the other one.
Now a third on the first switch is erroring. Playback of recordings are screwy.

recording playbacks are fubar also,
the saved (new) bvr files won't playback smoothly either.

Now, I can log into all of them with I.E. - but the live picture is not giving a fluid motion (timewise) slow, and timestamp is stuttering.
I think maybe the first switch is going bad. I tried moving cams to different ports to no avail..
comments ?

NETGEAR 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE Network Switch, Hub, Internet Splitter (GS108LP) - with 8 x PoE+ @ 60W Upgradeable, De...
NETGEAR 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet PoE Network Switch, Hub, Internet Splitter (GS108LP) - with 8 x PoE+ @ 60W Upgradeable, Desktop/Rackmount, and ProSAFE Lifetime Protection

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

juliand

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a dual network.
second intel network card in my pc and separate ip address on my pc for my cameras
I mentioned earlier that all has running great for a yr. and a half.

juliand

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'll try a new cable first - getting a yellow flasher on that one.- pc to switch - not green

juliand

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
looks like a bad cable :( but I have another dozen. Now its working :) alas, that first camera that went out on the second connected extended switch is still not working :( but the other cam is :) I'll figure that one out after I come back from vacation.:idk:
You guys are GREAT :headbang:Thank You.
If you were here, I'd give you all some fresh mangoes. Those trees happen to be on guard by that cam that went out.. Maybe the racoons did something to it. :smash:

Swampledge

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
What are you using for Ip address ranges on your dual setup? It sounds like Ip address conflicts maybe. Happened to me when my son moved in and plugged his router/WiFi into my network.

prsmith777

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Have been having similar issues recently, so I came here and this found this timely thread.

I have a Blue Iris computer dual NIC with one cable connection to dedicated IPCam 48 POE switch which has all my cameras on it. I had the connection going into a 10 Gig port on the switch using SFP+ ethernet adapter. Seems like the adapter was going out/dropping connection. I moved the cable to input into a 1 Gig ethernet port on the switch and all seems good now. The Blue Iris computer has a 2.5 Gb ethernet port. Probably was overkill anyway. With 30 switches Im seeing about 300 Mps on the port now. Plan to have about 45 cams total some day, so hopefully wont max out that 1 gig port

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Again, Avoid Xeons.

From the Wiki:
Generally speaking, if you can appreciate (and afford) an enterprise-grade server platform, your needs will be better met by enterprise-grade video management software instead of Blue Iris.

If you want ECC memory or some other feature only found on server platforms, look at general CPU benchmarks and use those to decide what the best CPU is for your money.

Beware of old used servers claiming lots of cores and memory at low prices. These will be loud and inefficient by today's standards, and in many cases outperformed by a cheaper workstation that is years newer. Also note that Blue Iris is not optimized for multiple-socket servers. If you are considering running such a heavy load that Blue Iris would be unable to handle it with a single CPU, then you should be using different software.