Cameras keep going forward an hour

naamang

n3wb
Reaction score
I've been having this issue for as long as I've owned these cameras and it's only effecting my Dahua cameras. I have both Hikvision and Dahua cameras and NVRs and only my Dahua cameras keep changing an hour forward. So I lie to the cameras and change the setting to (-05:00) Central Time (US & Canada) and within a day or two they all change themselves back to -05:00 and checks the DST box itself and forwards the time an hour again. I've tried every setting and trick I can think of and it still keep changing the time forward. I live in northern Indiana. Here are some of the things I've tried:

• Unchecking "Sync time with cameras" on the Dahua NVR
  • Checking "Sync time with cameras" on the Dahua NVR
  • Unchecking DST on cameras
  • Checking DST on cameras
  • Changing to (UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada) instead of the correct (UTC-05:00 Eastern Time (US & Canada) with NPT unchecked
  • Changing to (UTC-05:00 Indiana (East)
  • Checking NPT and using clock.isc.org and a few other servers.

No matter what I try, all four cameras keep changing themselves back to the settings in the attached screenshot and forwarding the time 1 hour off. Has anyone else had this issue and if so, how did you fix it?

Attachments

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I've been having this issue for as long as I've owned these cameras and it's only effecting my Dahua cameras. I have both Hikvision and Dahua cameras and NVRs and only my Dahua cameras keep changing an hour forward. So I lie to the cameras and change the setting to (-05:00) Central Time (US & Canada) and within a day or two they all change themselves back to -05:00 and checks the DST box itself and forwards the time an hour again. I've tried every setting and trick I can think of and it still keep changing the time forward. I live in northern Indiana. Here are some of the things I've tried:

• Unchecking "Sync time with cameras" on the Dahua NVR
  • Checking "Sync time with cameras" on the Dahua NVR
  • Unchecking DST on cameras
  • Checking DST on cameras
  • Changing to (UTC-06:00) Central Time (US & Canada) instead of the correct (UTC-05:00 Eastern Time (US & Canada) with NPT unchecked
  • Changing to (UTC-05:00 Indiana (East)
  • Checking NPT and using clock.isc.org and a few other servers.

No matter what I try, all four cameras keep changing themselves back to the settings in the attached screenshot and forwarding the time 1 hour off. Has anyone else had this issue and if so, how did you fix it?
Baring it’s not a hardware (firmware) bug. I’ll wager it’s because you have two NTP systems running causing the bounce.

Simple test is to default one camera to a factory state. Doing so will ensure the camera is in a good known state.

Next, set the camera to connect to NTP of your choice. Ideally one you have local control over whether it be a dedicated PC running NTP software or the Windows default NTP Service.

Obviously set and define the time zone and DST.

If the camera time remains accurate and synced you can move forward. If this single camera has the same issues you can try to reload the firmware in case it’s corrupted.

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Shit, I meant to post a thread about this, or something similar. Do you have smart pss running on anything?

naamang

n3wb
Reaction score
Baring it’s not a hardware (firmware) bug. I’ll wager it’s because you have two NTP systems running causing the bounce.

Simple test is to default one camera to a factory state. Doing so will ensure the camera is in a good known state.

Next, set the camera to connect to NTP of your choice. Ideally one you have local control over whether it be a dedicated PC running NTP software or the Windows default NTP Service.

Obviously set and define the time zone and DST.

If the camera time remains accurate and synced you can move forward. If this single camera has the same issues you can try to reload the firmware in case it’s corrupted.
Thanks but I seriously doubt the firmware would be corrupted on all 4 of my PTZ cameras or not be "in a good known state" and I don't care to reconfigure all my Deep IVS rules and presets by defaulting to factory state. Also, from what I'm reading online, I need Windows Server to create a local windows NTP server. My OS is Windows 10 Pro. I just tried using time.windows.com as my NTP server and it's currently set to the correct time but we will see how long that lasts. I'm pretty sure I've used this server before with no luck but I'll give it another shot. Thanks

Last edited:

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Ran into a deal where smart pss had an option for time ‘auto check’ that was doing that everyday even though the customers computer had the right time.

naamang

n3wb
Reaction score
Ran into a deal where smart pss had an option for time ‘auto check’ that was doing that everyday even though the customers computer had the right time.
I just verified that Automatic Time Sync is unchecked on iVMS-4200. Thanks

Last edited:

naamang

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks but I seriously doubt the firmware would be corrupted on all 4 of my PTZ cameras or not be "in a good known state" and I don't care to reconfigure all my Deep IVS rules and presets by defaulting to factory state. Also, from what I'm reading online, I need Windows Server to create a local windows NTP server. My OS is Windows 10 Pro. I just tried using time.windows.com as my NTP server and it's currently set to the correct time but we will see how long that lasts. I'm pretty sure I've used this server before with no luck but I'll give it another shot. Thanks
Well, that last all of about 5 minutes and then went forward an hour again. Signed back into the camera setting and found that it has unchecked the NTP box and is now displaying the wrong time again,

Attachments

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
Well, that last all of about 5 minutes and then went forward an hour again. Signed back into the camera setting and found that it has unchecked the NTP box and is now displaying the wrong time again,
As called out earlier defaulting the camera to an OEM state would let you know the hardware is in a good known state.

There is nothing that can make the system settings change all by itself once set other than external API / Network calls, corrupted firmware, hardware failure.

It goes without saying if you’re not using the correct web browser any features / settings may not appear or take.

As it relates to a local NTP Server lots of people use Net Time on a 24.7.365 computer system.

You can change the Windows Time Server to any server you like besides Microsoft default one in place.

Right now you have no clue where the problem lies. Hence why my first suggestion was to disconnect one single camera and have it connected only to POE injector / 12 VDC source.

It would be connected only to a switch or directly to your computer system.

Camera -> (Switch & 12 VDC / POE Switch / POE Injector) -> Direct to PC.

If the time remains the same the problem is a NTP conflict on the network whether it be NVR, PC, Camera, Router, etc.

If the time changes with this isolated network it’s the camera! Whether it’s the firmware, hardware, corrupted settings etc.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
There is an Indiana East time - maybe that is the issue?

1713998770103.png

naamang

n3wb
Reaction score
As called out earlier defaulting the camera to an OEM state would let you know the hardware is in a good known state.

There is nothing that can make the system settings change all by itself once set other than external API / Network calls, corrupted firmware, hardware failure.

It goes without saying if you’re not using the correct web browser any features / settings may not appear or take.

As it relates to a local NTP Server lots of people use Net Time on a 24.7.365 computer system.

You can change the Windows Time Server to any server you like besides Microsoft default one in place.

Right now you have no clue where the problem lies. Hence why my first suggestion was to disconnect one single camera and have it connected only to POE injector / 12 VDC source.

It would be connected only to a switch or directly to your computer system.

Camera -> (Switch & 12 VDC / POE Switch / POE Injector) -> Direct to PC.

If the time remains the same the problem is a NTP conflict on the network whether it be NVR, PC, Camera, Router, etc.

If the time changes with this isolated network it’s the camera! Whether it’s the firmware, hardware, corrupted settings etc.
Well, I just checked my ISP's router time settings and it's set to Eastern Daylight Time but it's also saying UTC-04:00, where my cameras are saying UTC-05:00 for Eastern time. Should I trying changing my router to UTC-05:00 Central Time?

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, tried that already, as listed in the thing tried in my original post. It will change to the correct time but then change back when it get to the next full minute mark.
#whoops missed that!

What browser are you using? Folks here, including me, have found the Dahua PTZs are really sensitive to browsers and Internet Explorer is the best option to ensure settings stick. Yeah we know LOL.

Have you ever made any camera changes in the NVR itself or DMSS or other app? If so, they could be trying to override and conflicting.

Maybe try rebooting the NVR and then setting the time and then reboot the NVR again and see if it holds.

naamang

n3wb
Reaction score
#whoops missed that!

What browser are you using? Folks here, including me, have found the Dahua PTZs are really sensitive to browsers and Internet Explorer is the best option to ensure settings stick. Yeah we know LOL.

Have you ever made any camera changes in the NVR itself or DMSS or other app? If so, they could be trying to override and conflicting.

Maybe try rebooting the NVR and then setting the time and then reboot the NVR again and see if it holds.
I'm using Google Chrome and have been for years. No issues getting any of the other settings to stick. I'm not finding the time setting for each camera in the NVR interface, only IVS rules, presets and the like. I am seeing the time being correct for a short time in the NVR's camera footage display though so it appears to be taking the setting it just doesn't keep it long. I've tried rebooting the NVR but it doesn't help.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Or maybe you don't know you have had other issues...

How are you accessing the camera GUI? - are you doing it thru the e in the NVR while connected to a computer or are you pulling the camera off the NVR and connecting to the camera via a POE switch or injector?

Here is how you should be accessing the cameras:

To get into the camera GUI from the NVR, you need to first access the NVR GUI by going to a computer and opening up a browser (preferably Internet Explorer but Pale Moon will work as well) and type in the IP address of the NVR and login that way. Next go into the camera settings page on the NVR and look for the Microsoft e Web Browser and select it and it will go to the camera GUI (photo credit bigredfish from his PSA thread). Your screen may look a little different to get into the camera gui and see if doing it this way gets you access to some other features the NVR is blocking - do not worry about the Port number and circle as that was from another issue someone posted.

1712919676643.png

naamang

n3wb
Reaction score
Or maybe you don't know you have had other issues...

How are you accessing the camera GUI? - are you doing it thru the e in the NVR while connected to a computer or are you pulling the camera off the NVR and connecting to the camera via a POE switch or injector?

Here is how you should be accessing the cameras:

To get into the camera GUI from the NVR, you need to first access the NVR GUI by going to a computer and opening up a browser (preferably Internet Explorer but Pale Moon will work as well) and type in the IP address of the NVR and login that way. Next go into the camera settings page on the NVR and look for the Microsoft e Web Browser and select it and it will go to the camera GUI (photo credit bigredfish from his PSA thread). Your screen may look a little different to get into the camera gui and see if doing it this way gets you access to some other features the NVR is blocking - do not worry about the Port number and circle as that was from another issue someone posted.

1712919676643.png
All my cameras are connected to a 16-port POE switch as are both my Dahua and Hikvision NVRs. I set them up it this way so I could access all my cameras on both NVRs and via the PC's iVMS-4200. I just signed into my Dahua NVR and clicked the "E" symbol and it opens the camera's IP, with my default browser, Google Chrome and I'm having no issues viewing the camera's image or IVS rules (see attached). The only other browser I have installed is Microsoft Edge. I can find a Pale Moon browser download and give that a try though. Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

naamang

n3wb
Reaction score
All my cameras are connected to a 16-port POE switch as are both my Dahua and Hikvision NVRs. I set them up it this way so I could access all my cameras on both NVRs and via the PC's iVMS-4200. I just signed into my Dahua NVR and clicked the "E" symbol and it opens the camera's IP, with my default browser, Google Chrome and I'm having no issues viewing the camera's image or IVS rules (see attached). The only other browser I have installed is Microsoft Edge. I can find a Pale Moon browser download and give that a try though. Thanks
Okay, downloaded Pale Moon browser and get the same issue. I sync with PC and it's good for a little over a minute then goes forward an hour at the top on the next minute.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is strange - which model cameras?

ludshed

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Why don’t you try simplifying things; shutting all but one down. If you don’t have the same problem, shut that one down and move on.