Cameras in a commercial parking garage, Mounting to joist

GH75

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
We will be installing about 20 cameras in 3 levels of a parking garage. The owner is telling us we can not mount any items to the t joist as it affects the integrity. I have never heard of this. When I say t joist I mean the beams that are spaced roughly every 20' and usually have holes in them for conduit to run thru.

typically we would install the cam on the vertical side of the beam at the very bottom, so we can see past the other beams, but be above the lowest part of the beam and avoid any vehicles hitting it. Now we have to mount a 1900 box on the deck, use a rod and suspend the camera down. They don't want just conduit so we have to get expensive camera mounts etc. it's a lot more work and materials.

Anyone heard of this?

is this code? would this be NEC or building code?

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I'd call you LOCAL building inspector, give him the specifics including which garage and how you plan to mount the cameras and get it in writing that what you want to do is allowed. If the building inspector allows it then the insurance company should have no concerns. If the owner then has an issue, tell him that's what you included in the quote and it's up to code. If he then wants it done differently anyway, paying for the difference in what you quoted him shouldn't be an issue and make sure you bill him for the hours spent redesigning as well. If the building inspector won't sign off on it, eat the difference and chalk it up to experience.

That being said, I know of a company that had a guy mount a monitor in a new dozer. He tapped the ROPS to mount the monitor. Because it was a safety issue that nobody wanted to sign off on, the ROPS (whole cab frame) had to be replaced. Liability drives people crazy.

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
This is more a question of IBC. NEC has no governance over this as it's not electrical (the mounting part). There is a maximum hole size that is permitted when drilling through a load-bearing support and typically you go to the center most point of the beam, avoiding any of the extreme edges. This also depends on the thickness of the beam and physical size/width. (Although really it's frowned upon) I've drilled into I-beams plenty of times, but only for a small screw to hold an electrical box in place. Nothing of significant size. Wiring and chases I've always gone around the beam. Although what most professionals do is go with beam clamps. They're not the cheapest things in the world but the building inspector can't call you on them (if you're going so far as to pull a permit to install some security cams) as they have 0 effect on structural integrity.

Don't waste your time asking the local building inspector. You need to discuss this with a licensed civil engineer who actually knows the limitations and restrictions on things like this. In fact I'm sure somewhere on the internet there might even be a civil engineering forum where you could inquire. Much like this one but not for cameras.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
dont the ceilings/floors in parking garages move as vehicles pass over them with all the expansion joints and earthquake proofing? I would think the support columns would be one the few things you could attach a camera to in a parking garage that wont go all blurry when a diesel truck comes rolling through it

blake

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hey Nayr, since you're in Denver, maybe you can swing by Denver airport and see how they have there garage cams run and mounted?? LOL

Kawboy12R

Known around here
Reaction score
I certainly won't argue against having a civil engineer sign off on it. Building inspectors tend to handle more of the day-to-day drudgery of what is or is not allowed, but a civil engineer is definitely more qualified to offer an opinion on the structural effects. I would not recommend skipping the building inspector though.

CoreyX64

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If a permit is involved, absolutely run it by the person that gives you your gold star for not screwing anything up before you waste labor and supplies. However, a lot of CCTV installs are "over the top" installs and in the vast majority of jurisdictions permits aren't required for things like that primarily because CCTV falls into the communications category which does not carry public safety risk like high voltage does. As such, if a permit is not involved, try not to involve the inspector if you don't have to. The reason I say this is because depending on the inspector they will either:
A) nitpick things that have 0 bearing on safety
B) go snooping on "pre-existing" building contents

You won't likely have an issue with B since these are new and not replacement but have heard stories from other contractors where the local jurisdiction did a poor job or did not at all document the previous inspection to determine what was "existing" and what was "new" upon the next permit pull. As such the contractor for "new" was held responsible to correct problems the inspector found on round 2 with work from the "existing" contractor because he couldn't prove what was what. It's silly but that's how building inspection works.

Your building inspector could be a really really nice guy though and might just give you pointers without putting you through the grinder. In which case chip away at his expertise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk