Cameras for a vacant school

Reaction score
A friend has asked to look at installing cameras in a vacant elementary school. It was vandalized recently so he is looking for something that would capture the vandals. The building has power but no internet or internal network. My initial thought was something like the Ring motion light with camera and SD card that could be reviewed after a break in. There are at least 20 external doors and most have a light fixture so there is power available. He is considering having internet installed and then having me run Cat6 but the cost will be higher. Is there something better out there than the Ring motion floodlight camera. I am new to cameras but have been in computers and networks for 25+ years. The building is large and would need at a minimum to wiring closets. Any thoughts or comments will be appreciated. Thanks

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
A friend has asked to look at installing cameras in a vacant elementary school. It was vandalized recently so he is looking for something that would capture the vandals. The building has power but no internet or internal network. My initial thought was something like the Ring motion light with camera and SD card that could be reviewed after a break in. There are at least 20 external doors and most have a light fixture so there is power available. He is considering having internet installed and then having me run Cat6 but the cost will be higher. Is there something better out there than the Ring motion floodlight camera. I am new to cameras but have been in computers and networks for 25+ years. The building is large and would need at a minimum to wiring closets. Any thoughts or comments will be appreciated. Thanks
anything is better than the ring flood light...its specially designed and marketed to suckers.
ring is 249, only records on pir motion, highly compressed and most importantly does not support local sd storage.
for 100 bux you can get a fixed dahua starlight turret...then charge 150 for the cabling and a recorder per camera.
More important than cameras is an alarm system. Cheap and very effective.

Reaction score
anything is better than the ring flood light...its specially designed and marketed to suckers.
ring is 249, only records on pir motion, highly compressed and most importantly does not support local sd storage.
for 100 bux you can get a fixed dahua starlight turret...then charge 150 for the cabling and a recorder per camera.
More important than cameras is an alarm system. Cheap and very effective.
Thanks Fenderman, I installed the dahua starlight turret at my home and like them. Not sure how much he wants to spend as he is looking to flip this either as is or maybe creating apartments and leasing it back to the local college. When you say a recorder per camera are you talking about an SD card in each?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks Fenderman, I installed the dahua starlight turret at my home and like them. Not sure how much he wants to spend as he is looking to flip this either as is or maybe creating apartments and leasing it back to the local college. When you say a recorder per camera are you talking about an SD card in each?
You wanted to spend 250 per camera on the ring...no I mean and NVR and SD cards...

copex

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
just get IP Cameras that have SD card slots and power locally. but be sure to us lage SD card or the footage may have been over written by the time they get reviewed :)

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Cameras are a good idea, but an alarm system may be more useful. The building might even have one already. If you want to catch whoever's in there setting it up as a silent alarm is a good option. Cellular alarm monitoring starts around $20/mo.

If you cover doors and hallways with motion detectors you'd be in pretty good shape.

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
When was the school built? When was it sold / when did it stop being used as a school?