Camera with obvious "You are being recorded" mechanism

mealice

n3wb
Reaction score
Title mostly. I think it may be called "active deterrence"? But most systems for this seem too intrusive (sirens, etc). Are there any cameras with some more subtle indication that it detected motion and recording is happening? Some cameras seem to have some sort of LED ring (Unifi G4 Pro for example) for "night vision" but I'm not sure if these are activated with motion, visible at night, or if there are better alternatives. I also imagine floodlights might be hard to distinguish from a regular motion detection light or be blinding to the point of being difficult to see the camera itself.

Bonus points for a doorbell camera with a similar mechanism.

Has anyone taken a look at their cameras at night?

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Active deterrence is what you want. Stay away from the 8MP version.

If you want active deterrence, your best bet is to go with the 2MP IPC-T5241H-AS-PV that will blink the white light. This is on the ideal MP/sensor ratio and will perform comparably to any similar 2MP fixed lens camera by Dahua. I have two of them. I have some of the other active deterrence cams as well, and would opt for the 2MP in every instance except for indoor, one could go with the IPC-HDW3449HP-AS-PV that has the red/blue lights that will bounce off the walls and be much more impressive than outside.

You can make it siren or say "You are under surveillance" or add your own audio.

The video quality at night is comparable to any similar camera on same sensor and lens size. The biggest problem is people buy this camera expecting to IDENTIFY at 60 feet and no 2.8mm or 3.6mm will do that.

I can also tell you the white light or red/blue if you get the TIOC version is more gimmicky than anything else. Nobody will see it unless they are looking at the camera.

With BI, you can send audio to a doorbell camera.

There are lots of video here and elsewhere showing perps don't even budge at a floodlight coming on, but most will spook with audio.

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
I have to agree with @TonyR start off with low tech from signage. You can move up by buying any of the thousands of LED blinkers and install them where ever you deem fit. :thumb: If you're into home automation you can replicate the same simply by blinking any outside lights etc.

Regardless of the above motion activated (LED flood lights) should be in place to offer better light for the security camera. While increasing health and safety for those who come on to the property as the path is well lit. The latest generation of solar powered LED flood lights are truly on par with their 120 VAC counter parts.

The obvious benefits of solar is unrestricted placement and no need for 120 VAC power.

Killhippie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The sS3 variant I have seems to work fine, and at night which is when I have the alarm with the the siren the blue and red light is very bright and neighbours can see that its a warning too it seems very effective, the white light is also warm and gives great images in my humble opinion, I guess it depends on your usage as to what's best for your needs as we all want different things but I use mine with the Dahua 5216-16-I/L with great effect and where I live in UK I have great night time footage in total blackness with IR and great colour with the warm light light set to auto, I'll have to post some images at some point now things are up and running but a lower pixel cam will do well with the same sensor size, its not all about megapixels but 4K for me gives great close ups and its what I have now so I'm happy. if I need to take an image and crop it with the detail avialable its amazing for facial detail and the sound quality if fantastic, and for my needs at 20fps and a bitrate of 6144 and quality at 4 it does me well enough.

I think though if I were to start again I would go for a 4Mp tops and 2Mp would do for the garden, but I'm glad I have the Tioc PV-S3 variant they were cheap and are better than the original PV version I believe for the front door at least as I have no traffic to speak of its all about the face and clothing detail. Still learning thanks to the great help here though.

I have to say though a cheap and nasty Arlo essential and a sigh with smily face with CCTV is monitoring on it you does a good job too as a deterrent.

Last edited: