Camera Video Settings Help?

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have Blue Iris 5 running on a fast Intel PC. The majority of my cameras are Empire Tech T5442T-ZE models running at 2688x1520 resolution. I was looking at the video tab on my camera's web interfaces. I don't really remember how I chose the various settings, but I'm encoding with H.264H, smart codec off, 20 fps, CBR. My bit rate is customized, 3072, I frame interval 40, SVC 1.

Is there any good reason for me to not switch to H.265? If I use H.265, how should I modify the other entries? I honestly don't remember why I chose to customize bit rate instead of using one of the drop-down options. I also don't know why I chose CBR instead of VBR. Some of the settings might just have been defaults. Or perhaps I got advice on these forums. Old age memory sucks. Thanks you for any suggestions!

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
H265 can be problematic because it divides the frame into large blocks to save bandwidth/disk space. The result can lead to missed motion events.

I run my 5442 cameras at 8192 CBR for a bit rate, a frame rate of 15f/ps and an iframe rate of 15. Blue Iris starts motion detection on a full frame and "likes" the frame and iframe rate to match. That combination seems to result in clear, sharp video, at least to me and many others here. YMMV.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As always, field of view can dictate what to use.

VBR in some instances could drop down to a low bitrate, for my LPR camera it could drop into the 100s or lower and then with motion, it would jump to 8000, but it wasn't fast enough to get a clear capture.

For most CBR ensures that with there is motion, it will be at the best resolution possible. Lower bitrate will result in essentially a "lower resolution" until the bitrate goes up with VBR.

For the 4MP, most start at 8192 bitrate and then go up and down until YOU do not see an improvement or worsening of the image. The higher the bitrate, the more storage is needed and vice versa.

Since you are using BI, you should match FPS and Iframes. 15 is more than adequate.

Obviously every field of view is different and some use H265 without issue, but most of us have found H264 to be better.

This will explain H264 versus H265 a little better.

H265 in theory provides more storage as it compresses differently, but part of that compression means it macro blocks big areas of the image that it thinks isn't moving. However, it also takes more processing power of the already small CPU in the camera and that can be problematic if someone is maxing out the camera and then it stutters.

In theory it is supposed to need 30% less storage than H264, but most of us have found it isn't that much. Mine was less than few minutes per day. And to my eye and others that I showed clips to and just said do you like video 1 or video 2 better, everyone thought the H264 provided a better image.

The left image is H264, so all the blocks are the same size corresponding to the resolution of the camera. H265 takes areas that it doesn't think has motion and makes them into bigger blocks and in doing so lessens the resolution yet increases the CPU demand to develop these larger blocks.

In theory H265 is supposed to need half the bitrate because of the macroblocking. But if there is a lot of motion in the image, then it becomes a pixelated mess. The only way to get around that is a higher bitrate. But if you need to run the same bitrate for H265 as you do H264, then the storage savings is zero. Storage is computed based on multiplying bitrate, FPS, and resolution.

1667407657100.png

In my testing I have one camera that sees a parked car in front of my house. H265 sees that the car isn't moving, so it macroblocks the whole car and surrounding area. Then the car owner walked up to the car and got in and the motion is missed because of the macroblock being so large. Or if it catches it, because the bitrate is low, it is a pixelated mess during the critical capture point and by the time H265 adjusts to there is now motion, the ideal capture is missed.

In my case, the car is clear and defined in H264, but is blurry and soft edges in H265.

Digital zooming is never really good, but you stand a better chance with H264 rather than a large macroblocked H265. I can digital zoom on my overview camera and kinda make out the address number of the house across the street with H264, but not a chance with H265 as it macroblocked his whole house.

H265 is one of those theory things that sounds good, but reality use is much different.

As always, YMMV.

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you both! That makes sound sense. Do you have any problem using H.264H as opposed to H.264B or H.264? I saw an internet post that showed that Dahua cameras can actually use a lower bit rate with H.264H, where some other brands (i.e. Samsung, et. al.) actually use higher bit rates when set to H.264H.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
BI likes it best without any extra. Doesn't mean you can't run H264H, but if you don't see a difference then go with plain ole H264.

XrayDoc88

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My old age memory returns! I now remember that with my camera fps rate set at 20, I set the I Frame interval to 40 because of recommendations from ipcamtalk forums. At the time, members were recommending an I Frame setting of twice the fps. Has that recommendation changed?

Also, I just tried switching one of my cameras to H.265. I wanted to do some quality and motion comparison to H.264. But.............................................when I tried to view the clips using UI3, they wouldn't play. I guess H.265 isn't available in UI3, possibly because my Edge and Chrome browsers don't support it? I mostly use UI3 to view my cameras, so I guess that's another good reason not to use H.265 for recording?