Camera suggestions/words of wisdom - upgrading from "cheap" 4MP cameras

Perplexed

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Odd, on 2 of the 3 cameras, the web interface is constantly locked out.... the cameras stream fine, take commands from BI for zoom correct, but for some reason can't log into the web interface.

That leads me to believe it's not BI giving invalid credentials causing the lockout. Something else is in play.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Awesome!

Now if you haven't seen it, in terms of getting the most out of the camera, here is my "standard" post that many use as a start for dialing in day and night that helps get the clean captures and help the camera recognize people and cars.

Start with:

H264
8192 bitrate
CBR
15FPS
15 iframes

Every field of view is different, but I have found you need contrast to usually be 6-8 higher than the brightness number at night.

We want the ability to freeze frame capture a clean image from the video at night, and that is only done with a shutter of 1/60 or faster. At night, default/auto may be on 1/12s shutter or worse to make the image bright.

In my opinion, shutter (exposure) and gain are the two most important parameters and then base the others off of it. Shutter is more important than FPS. It is the shutter speed that prevents motion blur, not FPS. 15 FPS is more than enough for surveillance cameras as we are not producing Hollywood movies. Match iframes to FPS. 15FPS is all that is usually needed.

Many people do not realize there is manual shutter that lets you adjust shutter and gain and a shutter priority that only lets you adjust shutter speed but not gain. The higher the gain, the bigger the noise and see-through ghosting start to appear because the noise is amplified. Most people select shutter priority and run a faster shutter than they should because it is likely being done at 100 gain, so it is actually defeating their purpose of a faster shutter.

Go into shutter settings and change to manual shutter and start with custom shutter as ms and change to 0-8.3ms and gain 0-50 (night) and 0-4ms exposure and 0-30 gain (day)for starters. Auto could have a shutter speed of 100ms or more with a gain at 100 and shutter priority could result in gain up at 100 which will contribute to significant ghosting and that blinding white you will get from the infrared or white light.

Now what you will notice immediately at night is that your image gets A LOT darker. That faster the shutter, the more light that is needed. But it is a balance. The nice bright night static image results in Casper blur and ghost during motion LOL. What do we want, a nice static image or a clean image when there is motion introduced to the scene?

In the daytime, if it is still too bright, then drop the 4ms down to 3ms then 2ms, etc. You have to play with it for your field of view.

Then at night, if it is too dark, then start adding ms to the time. Go to 10ms, 12ms, etc. until you find what you feel is acceptable as an image. Then have someone walk around and see if you can get a clean shot. Try not to go above 16.67ms (but certainly not above 30ms) as that tends to be the point where blur starts to occur. Conversely, if it is still bright, then drop down in time to get a faster shutter.

You can also adjust brightness and contrast to improve the image. But try not to go above 70 for anything and try to have contrast be at least 7-10 digits higher than brightness.

You can also add some gain to brighten the image - but the higher the gain, the more ghosting you get. Some cameras can go to 70 or so before it is an issue and some can't go over 50.

But adjusting those two settings will have the biggest impact. The next one is noise reduction. Want to keep that as low as possible. Depending on the amount of light you have, you might be able to get down to 40 or so at night (again camera dependent) and 20-30 during the day, but take it as low as you can before it gets too noisy. Again this one is a balance as well. Too smooth and no noise can result in soft images and contribute to blur.

Do not use backlight features until you have exhausted every other parameter setting. And if you do have to use backlight, take it down as low as possible.

After every setting adjustment, have someone walk around outside and see if you can freeze-frame to get a clean image. If not, keep changing until you do. Clean motion pictures are what we are after, not a clean static image.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Odd, on 2 of the 3 cameras, the web interface is constantly locked out.... the cameras stream fine, take commands from BI for zoom correct, but for some reason can't log into the web interface.

That leads me to believe it's not BI giving invalid credentials causing the lockout. Something else is in play.
It has been noted here that the newer GUI and BI have some quarks and a factory reset of the cameras prior to using them in BI make the world of difference.

Make sure you are using H264 or H264H for both main and substream and setup at 15FPS and 15iframe. The cameras come at default H265 and 30FPS and seem to get buggy. After switching to H264 and 15FPS it gets more stable, even if you go to H265 and 30FPS after.

Did you change the password after initialization? If so that is probably the problem.

I have found it best to make a username and password in the ONVIF Manager and use that instead. Also do not have any special characters in the user or password.

Post screenshots of what pops up in BI after you put in the IP address, user and password and hit find/inspect - it usually is two screens. That pop-up window can shed light as to what the issue is.

Perplexed

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Requesting device information...
Manufacturer: General
Model: IPC-T54IR-ZEB-S3
FirmwareVersion: 3.100.0000000.5.R, Build Date 2023-05-09
GetCapabilities...
Querying services
Has Imaging services: /onvif/imaging_service
Has media services: /onvif/media_service
Has RTP_RTSP_TCP, requesting profiles
profile token MediaProfile00000
profile name MediaProfile_Channel1_MainStream
profile source is 00000
profile source config is 00000
profile token MediaProfile00001
profile name MediaProfile_Channel1_SubStream1
profile source is 00000
profile token MediaProfile00002
profile name MediaProfile_Channel1_SubStream2
profile source is 00000
profile token MediaProfile00003
profile name MediaProfile_Channel1_SubStream3
profile source is 00000
requesting URI for profile MediaProfile00000
RTSP URI: /cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=0&unicast=true&proto=Onvif
requesting URI for profile MediaProfile00001
RTSP URI: /cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=1&unicast=true&proto=Onvif
requesting URI for profile MediaProfile00002
RTSP URI: /cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=2&unicast=true&proto=Onvif
requesting URI for profile MediaProfile00003
RTSP URI: /cam/realmonitor?channel=1&subtype=extra3&unicast=true&proto=Onvif
Has Event services: /onvif/event_service
Has WSPullPointSupport
RelayOutputs: 0
InputConnectors: 0
Has Device IO services: /onvif/deviceIO_service
AudioOutputs: 0
Has PTZ service: /onvif/ptz_service
Done

Perplexed

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Process (via memory, so I'm sure I forgot something) when I initially configured the cameras:

Follow GUI process & set password (hasn't changed since my initial configuration -- all 3 of the cameras & LPR camera were set with this login/pass... 2 have problems)
-set 264/264
-set NTP
-some other minor configurations (labels/time display) editing.
-set static IP to proper configuration for camera network (cameras were initially configured on a different POE network that has DHCP, camera network lacks DHCP)

Perplexed

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
<<<< Edit, I was 100% wrong in this post. See below, was caused by a camera/clone issue if anyone is reading this in the future >>>>

Okay, likely discovered the contributing factor to my woes.

The cameras that worked and were not getting locked out were configured in BI as Dahua cameras in the IP settings. I had changed them after doing find/inspect.

The other 2 offending units (getting locked out) had defaulted back to Generic after clicking find/inspect and I just missed that. Changed them back and now everything appears to be happy.

The offending setting
Screenshot 2023-11-19 at 11.08.18 AM.png

Fixed
Screenshot 2023-11-19 at 11.12.56 AM.png

Made the change and so far, no lockouts.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is weird - all of mine are generic.

Perplexed

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I do have a special character in my password (not an @). Maybe that has something to do with it... but then again, it works fine on the other cameras. Just bizarre

Perplexed

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Okay, I spoke too soon. Still getting lockout issues.

if I time it when the lockout expires, I am able to get in and make changes to various settings that work. It's irritating, but workable. I'm not terribly concerned... the camera still does it's job .

Perplexed

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Nope.

The cameras ARE assigned the same IP as the cameras they replaced... however those cameras were removed from service prior to the new cameras going online. The password for the new camera is different from the old camera.

Even after establishing proper communication and receiving signal from the new camera via the correct password, it almost appears if BI is also sending an old password to the cameras as well.

I'll have to inspect things more, but that's my guess at the moment. BI is the ONLY program other than Edge/IE that talks to the cameras. The cameras are on their own switch via a 2 NIC setup for BI.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Try deleting the camera in BI and then re-adding.

Perplexed

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Son of a...

I know why.

the 2 cameras in question are cloned/hidden for some stuff I was playing with a long time ago. The clones were attempting the old passwords!!!

edit:
20 min later, issue is 100% resolved. For real this time.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Son of a...

I know why.

the 2 cameras in question are cloned/hidden for some stuff I was playing with a long time ago. The clones were attempting the old passwords!!!

edit:
20 min later, issue is 100% resolved. For real this time.
It is amazing how many times it ends up being user error :lmao: (been there, done that LOL)