Camera Substreams

DaveK

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My Camera has two optional sub-streams that can be set with lower resolution and, I think, in different video format. Is it possible to use a sub-stream to view the camera activity on the desktop, but to use the higher resolution main-stream for recording video? If yes, how would I go about that?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Technically you can do this by setting up duplicate cameras and pulling the substream in the duplicate (and dont set recording on the duplicate camera) and hiding the high resolution cameras so that they record but dont show up on the screen...I doubt you will save much cpu cycles (i did an informal test with one cam a while back and didnt see much of a difference) you will see a greater reduction by limiting the live preview frames (does not affect recording)...

Zxel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My Camera has two optional sub-streams that can be set with lower resolution and, I think, in different video format. Is it possible to use a sub-stream to view the camera activity on the desktop, but to use the higher resolution main-stream for recording video? If yes, how would I go about that?
Fenderman is correct, the option to reduce the framerate you are viewing will lower your CPU usage. Do remember though that BI scales the video to the size of the BI camera display box. If you are using the "open in desktop frame" option you can precisely control the size of your camera views (the new frame option makes this real easy). Of course the BI application itself will resize video too.

This is how I view my cameras - on a secondary monitor with all the cameras on the desktop (dual monitor setup).