Camera Style Recommendation for an exposed wall side

psycik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So i have cameras under a soffit, generally dome, as that's what I'm used to.

I have one that I want to put half way up on a two story side of my house....unfortuneately I have nothing that it can go under to protect it from the weather.

A, is this a bad idea, or are these cameras (I tend to use Dahua) waterproof enough to be fully exposed to the weather.
B, what style is better suited for combatting rain/wind: bullet, turrent or dome?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So i have cameras under a soffit, generally dome, as that's what I'm used to.

I have one that I want to put half way up on a two story side of my house....unfortuneately I have nothing that it can go under to protect it from the weather.

A, is this a bad idea, or are these cameras (I tend to use Dahua) waterproof enough to be fully exposed to the weather.
B, what style is better suited for combatting rain/wind: bullet, turrent or dome?
FYI - wall mount and a turret is what I would consider, or junction box and a turret

psycik

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
I have several Dahua turret cameras mounted directly to the wall. I usually add silicone grease (like spark plug grease)
to the RJ-45 and add a bead of silicone sealant to the top half of the camera to the wall, but some have been there for years
without anything.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
So for a turrent style, and wall mount that means that it's sort of protected from above....
I would have thought it sideways mounted with a junction box that it may get water in it, or is that not the case?

When you mentioned turrent, I found this one locally: IPC-HDW4631EM-ASE - Dahua - 6MP WDR Turret Camera with 2.8m lens, IR 50m, ePoE ALLIANCE WHOLESALE more to get an idea of the style.
Hi @psycik

If you need low light performance most of us like the 4MP 1/1.8" sensor models...

also most prefer 3.6mm or lens which allows tighter FOV

I like to use 2.8mm only in areas where the subject will be close to the camera

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Any camera can be effected by rain/snow. I have two turrets, 2231 and a 3241, mounter to tree trunks, sitting out in the weather and haven't had a problem. Yes, if the wind is blowing the right way they can get water drops on the lens but the warmth of the camera tends to dry it out relatively quickly. I had bullets out there at first and had the same problems with rain, wind and water droplets. Heck the rest of my cameras are mounted under soffets and still can get rain on them if the wind is blowing hard enough from the right direction. Domes are even more prone to that kind of problem.