Camera sharing

cwisp88

n3wb
Reaction score
We want to upgrade our current old system to IP cameras. 2 buildings next to each other, ran separately, sharing 3 cameras which monitor the gated access to the whole site. Each building has its own recorder and includes various other cameras particular to that building, only the 3 access cameras are shared. How can this be achieved with an IP system?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I guess the old system was analog, the cable is coax (video + 12VDC power).
  • Make/model of existing equipment?
  • What are the approximate lengths of the longest runs?
  • What camera form factor(s) is(are) in place now (bullet, turret, dome) ?
  • Any changes / additions to be made to existing regarding coverage?
  • Any changes to be made as to how the cameras are currently monitored / viewed?
  • Is there a budget?
A simple sketch would be VERY helpful.

cwisp88

n3wb
Reaction score
I guess the old system was analog, the cable is coax (video + 12VDC power).
  • Make/model of existing equipment?
  • What are the approximate lengths of the longest runs?
  • What camera form factor(s) is(are) in place now (bullet, turret, dome) ?
  • Any changes / additions to be made to existing regarding coverage?
  • Any changes to be made as to how the cameras are currently monitored / viewed?
  • Is there a budget?
A simple sketch would be VERY helpful.
I hope this helps explain what I mean. I just want to know if its possible to split 1 camera to two separate NVR's

Attachments

cwisp88

n3wb
Reaction score
The NVR's will be connected to different networks, building 1 has a different network to building 2.

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Maybe a ptp bridge connetring the two buildings? If you have line of sight between them. Or if they are close enought a direct burial/aireal cable between the two buildings?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

observant1

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
They also make MOCA adapters that claim 1gig transmission ability with the 2.5 moca adapters. I have never used any but they are supposed to be plug and play.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
We want to upgrade our current old system to IP cameras. 2 buildings next to each other, ran separately, sharing 3 cameras which monitor the gated access to the whole site. Each building has its own recorder and includes various other cameras particular to that building, only the 3 access cameras are shared. How can this be achieved with an IP system?
IP cameras stream their data onto the network. Any device on the same network with the proper information (IP address of the camera and login credentials) can view/record that data. It's much easier to "share" an IP camera feed than it is to share an analog camera feed where you physically have to split the analog cable into multiple outputs.

PS - this is part of the reason why the "best practice" is to isolate any IP cameras from the rest of the network. Not only do we want to prevent the IP cameras from communicating with outside devices, we also want to limit access to the cameras as well.

Reaction score
IP cameras stream their data onto the network. Any device on the same network with the proper information (IP address of the camera and login credentials) can view/record that data. It's much easier to "share" an IP camera feed than it is to share an analog camera feed where you physically have to split the analog cable into multiple outputs.

PS - this is part of the reason why the "best practice" is to isolate any IP cameras from the rest of the network. Not only do we want to prevent the IP cameras from communicating with outside devices, we also want to limit access to the cameras as well.

Thanks for answering; you made my day. If you are also a student, then I know every student thinks, Can I get help from someone to write my essay? Now I have a solution to that. You can get help with your essay writing from this Best Essays for Sale in UK | Buy Essays Only From Us website. They are a writing service provider. I used their services a few months ago, and now I am still using them.
Thanks for answering, you made my day :)

Last edited: