Camera selection and placement for large property with many entrances and several buildings`

Reaction score
Thanks in advance for any suggestions! I have read quite a bit on the site, cliff notes, etc. and am trying to digest all the info but I was hoping to get some suggestions for my specific situation as I wanted to grab some cams on the BF deal to at least get started. The initial plan is to go with a used POE switch, Blue Iris and an existing PC to be upgraded later when required by more cameras.
When on IPVM calculator it started to sink in how challenging figuring out where to place what kind of cameras is going to be. I am not rich, I acquired this property during the crash (REO bank foreclosure). It's not a McMansion it's a building cobbled together: the original owner built a 1br/1ba with garage lived in that while building a 3/2 with garage then later someone joined the two buildings together. As you can imagine all those connected roof lines make moving around in the attic a nightmare.
Then a stand alone 3 car and 2 car (off sat pic) were built about 50 feet from the main house then a 900 square foot 1/1 guest house was added. To eventually cover everything will require a lot of cameras! In the example below it looks like at least 3 cameras just to cover the inside front wall. The entrances are all set back as well making me wonder if I should put doorbell cams or some other kind of cam right in the alcoves.
Satelitte-IPVM.png

The 9 red lines in the layout below are all the entrances I will need to cover (not including entering porches). The numbers are feet (courtesy of county tax appraiser)
This layout is flipped from the satellite picture. Thoughts on how to start with 8 cameras or so?

building-layout.png

Teken

Known around here
Reaction score
What are your plans as it relates to the wiring infrastructure given the separate additions to the home?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks in advance for any suggestions! I have read quite a bit on the site, cliff notes, etc. and am trying to digest all the info but I was hoping to get some suggestions for my specific situation as I wanted to grab some cams on the BF deal to at least get started. The initial plan is to go with a used POE switch, Blue Iris and an existing PC to be upgraded later when required by more cameras.
When on IPVM calculator it started to sink in how challenging figuring out where to place what kind of cameras is going to be. I am not rich, I acquired this property during the crash (REO bank foreclosure). It's not a McMansion it's a building cobbled together: the original owner built a 1br/1ba with garage lived in that while building a 3/2 with garage then later someone joined the two buildings together. As you can imagine all those connected roof lines make moving around in the attic a nightmare.
Then a stand alone 3 car and 2 car (off sat pic) were built about 50 feet from the main house then a 900 square foot 1/1 guest house was added. To eventually cover everything will require a lot of cameras! In the example below it looks like at least 3 cameras just to cover the inside front wall. The entrances are all set back as well making me wonder if I should put doorbell cams or some other kind of cam right in the alcoves.
View attachment 109504

The 9 red lines in the layout below are all the entrances I will need to cover (not including entering porches). The numbers are feet (courtesy of county tax appraiser)
This layout is flipped from the satellite picture. Thoughts on how to start with 8 cameras or so?

View attachment 109505
Welcome @DownTheRabbitHole

I would consider running conduit under the soffits and drop down for locations to the cameras if the attic is too challenging.

Reaction score
What are your plans as it relates to the wiring infrastructure given the separate additions to the home?
I hadn't thought of Mat200's idea of using the soffit as a raceway, that's a great idea.
It is possible though extremely difficult to run cable through the attic. I ran a drop between the two data symbols to put an access point in the other end of the building. This was required due to the old exterior walls between the section that joins the two ends blocking WiFi. I thought about using a POE switch on that drop and adding two more POE switches in the other sections because long term we do want full coverage and running cable within each section is doable. Each section has it's own attic entry. But that's more hardware to break.