Camera Recommendations

Teeling611

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You have already been given good options in the past.
You're making this more difficult than it needs to be.
PIck/Buy one of these, and they will fit your needs.
Buy once, cry once.

Best option $189. With builtin audio and AI.
Review-OEM Loryta IPC-T5442T-ZE Varifocal 4mp camera (Dahua) | IP Cam Talk

Second best option $143. With Builtin Audio and AI
Review-OEM IPC-T3241-ZAS 2mp AI Lite series Varifocal | IP Cam Talk

3rd best option $125. NO AUDIO, but does have AI.
Review-OEM IPC-T2231T-ZS Ver 2, 2mp Varifocal Starlight Camera | IP Cam Talk

Indoors: Review-Dahua IPC-K42A 4mp Indoor Cube cam 2.8mm | IP Cam Talk
Thanks for all the suggestions. And yes I have received very good advice and suggestions from others. Odd though every suggestion is only for Dahua cameras. There must be other brands just as good! Also just to remind you I drive a Ford not the Mercedes:)

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It is because Dahua represents the best overall value and performance. Hikvision is another recommended brand here but most do not like their userface and a lot of their cameras are not on ideal MP/sensor ratios and tend to be a little more expensive.

Dahua is Ford and AXIS is the Mercedes LOL. An Axis camera starts around $1,000 compared to the $140ish we are recommending...

Also keep in mind that outside of the consumer grade stuff like Ring and Arlo and Nest, and Blink and Reolink, Dahua and Hikvision make the cameras for probably the majority of other cameras out there and some of them are more expensive with lessor quality as they provide 1-800 customer support numbers that Dahua and Hikvision do not to the end user...

Here is just a sampling that totally is not everyone LOL

1674086087870.png 1674086118575.png

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Most of us have ended up at Dahua based on value/performance/features for the price. Lots of others but most equal or better will cost you a lot more. I started more with Hikvision but I'm down to only one left now and it's really just an extra that I'm using because I had it laying around not doing anything. There are some specific cams that may be a good value otherwise but overall Dahau gives you a lot of bang for the buck and innovations come fast where others may lag for years.

mephisto_uk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I found this topic extremely helpful as I was trying to narrow down brands of cameras, resolutions, sensors, viewing angles. I'm moving away from a Unify protect system as I can't be asked anymore with the bad performance and cost and probably moving to blue iris and dahua cameras. I was nearly going for Reolink, but I can understand much better now their target market.

Very interesting to see all these brands basically all made by these 2 big companies.

Teeling611

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It is because Dahua represents the best overall value and performance. Hikvision is another recommended brand here but most do not like their userface and a lot of their cameras are not on ideal MP/sensor ratios and tend to be a little more expensive.

Dahua is Ford and AXIS is the Mercedes LOL. An Axis camera starts around $1,000 compared to the $140ish we are recommending...

Also keep in mind that outside of the consumer grade stuff like Ring and Arlo and Nest, and Blink and Reolink, Dahua and Hikvision make the cameras for probably the majority of other cameras out there and some of them are more expensive with lessor quality as they provide 1-800 customer support numbers that Dahua and Hikvision do not to the end user...

Here is just a sampling that totally is not everyone LOL

View attachment 151361 View attachment 151362
I found this topic extremely helpful as I was trying to narrow down brands of cameras, resolutions, sensors, viewing angles. I'm moving away from a Unify protect system as I can't be asked anymore with the bad performance and cost and probably moving to blue iris and dahua cameras. I was nearly going for Reolink, but I can understand much better now their target market.

Very interesting to see all these brands basically all made by these 2 big companies.
This a wonderful place to learn about cameras. Almost everyone has infinite patience with the types of me. Especially the ones responding to my posts. Can’t say enough good about this place!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
If I could start over, I would still chose Dahua and BI, that is high praise.
I think many of us agree with this statement...unfortunately many of us had the misfortune of trying the other stuff before we found this place.

I wish I found this site before I started my camera journey LOL. I started with the Logitech 700 cameras and then moved to the big box store Swann all in a box kit LOL.

I now have a box of useless cameras as I realized how poor those systems were.

Even with all the great advice and knowledge you get here, you will stumble across a learning opportunity mistake and will be able to share it here for others.

But at some point you have to quit researching and trying to perfect a plan and go buy something and start playing and testing. I doubt any of us designed the perfect system and didn't have to modify it once we saw how it performed. So until you buy a camera and test locations, and then put up the cameras and analyze it with an open mind to find the weak spots, you will have a void in the system, so buy one and get that process going.

Or an event happens and you realize you need some more cameras.

It is really easy to get lulled into a sense of satisfaction by walking around your house and watching the playback and be like "Yeah look I can easily tell it is me".

It is the total stranger that we need to be able to IDENTIFY. You need to find a way to test that.

I live in an area with lots of families. A neighbor was having a party for their son's baseball team and they were all in their jerseys, so they all had the same clothes and basically looked alike LOL. I asked the kids to run and walk around my house and then I printed out a few and tried to see if I could ID which kid was which.

That is when you realize that the DORI numbers the manufacturers provide are WAY overestimated LOL. Those are under perfect conditions with no movement. Realistically you cut it in half for day time and then cut that half in half again (or more) for nighttime.

Reaction score
Odd though every suggestion is only for Dahua cameras.
You have gotten some good replies to this comment.

Additionally, one of the main reasons people here go for the Dahua cams is there is a member (@EMPIRETECANDY ) that is a distributor and sells them to members at a discount. He also runs promotional sales, gives new models to members for testing, and has worked with the Dahua engineers to fix firmware.

Another reason is that newer Dahua cams get tested and written about here by members.

mephisto_uk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
But Andy does also sell Hikvision OEM if you wanted to go that way as well.
That is very good to know, I was checking his store on aliexpress and I was wondering about Hikvision, at least is another option

Has anyone bought directly from him outside amazon/aliexpress? I'm wondering if it is worth saving the amazon/aliexpress tax

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
That is very good to know, I was checking his store on aliexpress and I was wondering about Hikvision, at least is another option

Has anyone bought directly from him outside amazon/aliexpress? I'm wondering if it is worth saving the amazon/aliexpress tax
Yes, a lot of us purchase direct from him and you cut out the Amazon middleman lol.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Yes, that's a good option.

CanCuba

Known around here
Reaction score
I was looking at these cameras. Good price point, $80.00, good ratings, but doesn’t appear to have AI feature. Will these work with BI‘s AI functions? Thanks.

Loryta 4MP 1/2.9" CMOS Starlight POE IR Turret IP Camera WDR IP67 Weatherproof Outdoor,Support IVS, SMD Plus. ,Built-in Mic, Built-in IR LED, High Image Definition, Fixed Lens IPC-T2431T-AS S2 2.8mm
I have a few of these. But just using them as spotter cams now.

Teeling611

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Every cam that I purchased I did so by sending Andy an email and paying him directly with PayPal. He shipped them directly to me, not via Amazon or Ali.
Chinese new year 14-28th no sales until after. Still selling on Amazon.

Last edited:

mephisto_uk

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I'll wait until feb to start purchasing some cameras, gives me time to start adverting all my unifi cameras on ebay, including the cloud key gen2

HMC8403

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I found this website after ordering a Lorex system and looking for advice on camera mounting recommendations; luckily I was able to return the Lorex order. After emailing Andy, he provided great advice on what equipment was best for my needs and then I placed an order, and another, and another. Every order arrived quickly and not a single regret yet.

Attachments

Teeling611

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I just bought 2 cameras directly from him after contacting him on here. I don't know if we are allowed to put the number up so I won't right now. But I will say it was a considerable discount when you compare the grand totals. I ordered on Wednesday and he said it should be here by the 23rd.
I contacted him thru his email address I guess not thru the site. Fixed Lens IPC-T5442TM-AS 3.6mm, $148.00. A respectable discount for only two cameras.

xomiki

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, nice thread, have been doing some research myself and am quite interested in the strobe light effect as an active deterrent. My theory is an opportunist would walk away if they believe they've been detected and set off any silent alarm. I would much rather prevent the crime occurring in the first place rather than trying to recover stolen goods using an identity. That said - getting some identification would be desirable.

Hence I am quite interested in IPC-T5541H-AS-PV.

But I have read the IPC-T5442 range have superior video with colour at night. Is there such a thing as a IPC-T5442 that supports flashing lights on detection? Maybe the IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED supports this? Although my understanding is IPC-T5442TM-AS-LED doesn't have IR and requires the LED in low light (despite the spec sheet), whereas IPC-T5541H-AS-PV does have IR. (not exactly sure what AS or PV stands for).

I need to watch a pinch point side gate at range of about 15 feet in low light. Would the IPC-T5241H-AS-PV 3.6mm 2MP be suitable? Or would I be better off with the 5MP model?

Thanks, I appreciate the help you are all providing.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.