Camera Recommendations?

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Unless you want to watch the street, I'd tighten the zoom and tilt it down a little to only capture the sidewalk and driveway.

If you want a real comparison, add some motion to the scene for both the 5442 and the Reolink. That will show the true differences between them. You can also do some "tuning" to the 5442 rather than rely on "auto" settings for exposure, brightness, contrast, gain and so on.

birdie

n3wb
Reaction score
I have actually had to use the footage of the street just this week to report a dangerous driver, but yeah I don't usually need the street.

I aligned it so that the camera catches from my left boundary fence to the right boundary fence so I can see anyone walking into my property on foot rather than just the driveway, but not sure if I am trying to capture too much with one camera by doing that? The right camera (the other one which is still Reolink at this point) will get from the other angle. But maybe I should use the right camera to capture the fence to fence view and then have a zoomed in view of the driveway for the left camera?

Yeah I haven't tweaked any of the settings yet on the camera.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The typical setup by many here on IPCT is an overview plus two on the driveway. One camera getting a view of each side of the driveway an mounted down around seven feet or so. If it's a two car driveway a third one looking straight out, again at about seven feet, to give total coverage with no dead areas or areas wher postive ID can't be had.

The three basic rules of cameras -
Rule #1 - Cameras multiply like rabbits.
Rule #2 - Cameras are more addictive than drugs.
Rule #3 - You never have enough cameras.

birdie

n3wb
Reaction score
Anther question... What would be the HikVision equivalent of the 5442? I wouldn't mind comparing the price of an equivalent HikVision through the local installer who installs Hikvision and might be able to get me a good price on them as I helped them out with some IT issues recently.