Camera positioning help

BeachBoy

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi, so after learning from you folks that my current gear is too much trouble for me to keep, see Will these work? (I'll try to sell them for cheap), I have decided to start from scratch.

I would need some help to position cameras. Below is the aerial view. The blue around the house are where there are windows, blue square top right is future garage, purple square where car park and the red arrow where cars arrive (street is dead end to the right). The red dot is the doorbell camera.

I plan to have 4 camera setup (I have 4 wires going to the attic right now so can reach the soffit). The cameras I'm looking at have either ~80 degree or ~110 degree angles... I want to use the camera for security but also to watch children when they play or people arriving as I have no view top half of image from kitchen area)

At the bottom of the picture is the lake so not likely to have much security risk there, there is only one stair up and you can't really get up there otherwise it's a cliff.

This is my attempt, one hi res camera 80deg (red) and three 110 deg cameras, plus the wide angle doorbell.

Any suggestions to improve or concerns?

Reaction score
You have not really defined what you expect to accomplish from these cam placements. Looking at the diagram, it appears that you are interested in only an overview of the area rather than focusing on getting video of perps that would be good enough to give to LE.

Have you read the Cliff Notes and the WIKI?

There is nothing wrong with overview cams. But chances are they will not get you video of a perp that can ID them. Mounting cams at soffit height will probably not get a face shot unless the perp is far enough away and you are zoomed in to that area. See below.
Angle of attack.jpg

See the below threads to get an idea on designing.

BeachBoy

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks it's a good start for me to learn.

It is a cottage so two goals:
1- ID vehicle if someone comes to steal (very very unlikely to come from the lake)
2- watch kids playing outside.

I'll go and read the two threads, I checked the sticky in the forum but missed the wiki.

Since the area is sloped and basement is walkout it might change the setup. There is only one way in on the east (door), one way in on the north but multiple way in on the west and south. This is the west and south sides:
This is the east and north with very few entry points.