Camera positioning | Advices for a second one

Aerox

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone !

A few weeks back, I ordered a Dahua 5442 3.6mm (Dahua 5442 3.6mm) after discussions various options on this forum : here.

I received the camera and i'm trying different placements.

I'm trying to protect the white door entrance.

#Option 1:
Height : 2.5m / 8.2feet
Camera to door straight line : 4.5m / 14.7feet

#Option 2
Height: 4m / 13.12feet
Camera to door straight line : ~19m / 62feet

cameras-options.png

Aerox

n3wb
Reaction score
Below are some snapshots :

#Option 1
I like this option for the better probability of being able to IDENTIFY someone at the door I want to protect.
Unfortunately, it's not high enough for the camera to be protected from being stolen.
Ethernet cable could also be cut.

04[M][0@0][1099][0].jpg
09[M][0@0][656][4].jpg

#Option 2

Option 2 is high enough and the camera itself is quite protected.
The ethernet cable goes through areas that aren't protected and thus could be rendered inoperant with a pair of snipper in a matter of seconds at the moment.
I'm doubtful I may be able to properly IDENTIFY someone at the door.

20220629_202536.jpg

Last edited:

Aerox

n3wb
Reaction score
Any advices on how to step up my placement for this camera? Or security in general.

I'm considering adding a second camera if needed.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Any advices on how to step up my placement for this camera? Or security in general.

I'm considering adding a second camera if needed.
Hi @Aerox

What is your goal?

See if cars are parked?
Potentially ID someone?

If you want to ID someone see the DORI section of the cliff notes, and remember you will need a good angle on a facial image capture ..

In the USA a lot of robbers / thieves like to wear what we call hoodies and caps to cover their faces from cameras above them ... thus in general for close cameras we want them 6-8 feet high .. about 2 Meters is good ..

If the camera has some zoom to it you can put it higher if you are attempting to capture images of suspects further away from the camera .. the angle is keep here, want to get a solid facial ID image .. and not get the hat / cap covering the face ..

Aerox

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello @mat200

Thanks for the reply.

The main goal is to be alerted of anything suspicious around the doors. The garage behind that door is what I want to protect.
Cars there are mine but if the RV is there, it's that I am also.

If the camera needs to be 6-8 feet, how do you protect the camera itself from being stolen or degradated?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hello @mat200

Thanks for the reply.

The main goal is to be alerted of anything suspicious around the doors. The garage behind that door is what I want to protect.
Cars there are mine but if the RV is there, it's that I am also.

If the camera needs to be 6-8 feet, how do you protect the camera itself from being stolen or degradated?
Hi @Aerox

Q: If the camera needs to be 6-8 feet, how do you protect the camera itself from being stolen or degradated?
A: More cameras

Ideally you set it up so that no one can sneak up on a camera and disable it ..

Reaction score
I started with 20' high cameras. Security event happened where I needed recorded video. Could only see Sasquatch or maybe it was Elvis, unsure.
Moved 1/2 of my front cameras down to 6' level for the sole purpose of catching facial ID. Success and the made the police arrest her based on the video.
Each "security event" of slashing tires cost me over $1000. Each 6' camera is placed costed $150 or so. Suppose there was a perp who wanted to do more than slashing tires like break windshields, steal my $1800 utility trailer or steal my vehicle....or bash in front door for a breaking & entering, or murdering someone in my house.

I want straight on co-planer as possible shot of any human's (or inhuman like...dunno....vampire) face to give the snapshot & video to the police that leaves no question. Do I worry about someone damaging my cameras? Not at all actually. I'll happily sacrifice a camera or two if it meant I have facial ID recordings of the person to give to the police.
All of my wiring and connections are inside conduit or metal junction box. Not accessible. Well, 1 camera I need to finish up due to it being in temporary testing location.
Also mind you, I have all angles covered on the front of my house by multiple cameras, not just 1 camera trying to do it all.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Below are some snapshots :

#Option 1
I like this option for the better probability of being able to IDENTIFY someone at the door I want to protect.
Unfortunately, it's not high enough for the camera to be protected from being stolen.
Ethernet cable could also be cut.

View attachment 132101
View attachment 132104

#Option 2

Option 2 is high enough and the camera itself is quite protected.
The ethernet cable goes through areas that aren't protected and thus could be rendered inoperant with a pair of snipper in a matter of seconds at the moment.
I'm doubtful I may be able to properly IDENTIFY someone at the door.

View attachment 132099
I would suggest two cameras, one at each location shown below. One of them being a 6mm lens model for a closer view of a perp mounted on the left of the garage door.
Mounted no higher than 7-8ft from the ground. Run the cable through what appears to be wood, to the indoors, and run the cable in a length of 1/2" metal conduit that is well secured to protect it. Both cameras facing each other as shown, that way you have a chance to capture an ID no matter which camera they approach.
It's rare for someone to try to take down a camera, and these turrets if properly and securely fastened to it's mounting surface would not be easy to remove or damage. You would either use a metal junction box outdoors to mount the cam or indoors to protect the connection from the wire.

Postions.jpg

Last edited:

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
If you have to run a wire to the camera outside, it needs to be in a metal conduit and connected to the proper junction box for your camera. This will make it very difficult to cut the ethernet wire. I also agree that low cameras are the best choice. It would be rare that anyone is going to vandalize the cameras, but if they do you will certainly have a clear shot to provide the police. Sticking cameras up high to prevent vandalism just means that your footage is going to be of the top of people's heads and pretty worthless in providing identifiable footage.