Camera placement

badandy996

n3wb
Reaction score
Can someone please assist with a better placement for my security cameras. The cameras are going to be approximately 7 feet off the floor. I am waiting for my delivery of
I would like to identify and record anyone on my property especially at the front door. Eventually I would like to add LPR to capture the street behind my home. The front of my home has slightly changed since the remodel. The over view is the correc1699499048422.png1699499220474.png1699499048422.png1699499220474.pngt image. I have a pillar in the front which blocks patrially the front. Please see second image.

1699499048422.png1699499220474.png

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I think you are off to a great start, but I do have some suggested tweaks.....

I would change the field of view on your driveway cameras (3&6) to cover the driveway rather than the yard/street beyond the driveway. You can always add another camera (perhaps down the left side garage wall in the alley about where your gate is) to cover that portion of the yard/alley. It is much more important to have good coverage of the driveway (especially if you are parking cars on it) than it is to have coverage beyond the driveway. Right now your field of view is too narrow and creates blind spots on the driveway. The camera placement is fine, just use a wider field of view.

The same concept applies for the "front door" cameras. I personally would want to have better coverage closer to the house than worry about covering the road. If a person is close enough to cause damage to my house, they are generally going to be closer, not farther away. Right now the area close to the house is a complete blind spot because the cameras "past" it. If you really want to maintain that coverage out to the street, then you should add one more camera at the door (probably in the garage/house corner) that will provide coverage in the blind spots of the other three cameras.

Continuing on with the front door coverage, you might consider placing a camera somewhere on the garage wall pointing back at the front door. This will get good images from anyone as they walk away from the entrance. A doorbell camera can help provide another angle of view even if the quality typically isn't great.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can someone please assist with a better placement for my security cameras. The cameras are going to be approximately 7 feet off the floor. I am waiting for my delivery of
I would like to identify and record anyone on my property especially at the front door. Eventually I would like to add LPR to capture the street behind my home. The front of my home has slightly changed since the remodel. The over view is the correcView attachment 177430View attachment 177431View attachment 177430View attachment 177431t image. I have a pillar in the front which blocks patrially the front. Please see second image.

View attachment 177430View attachment 177431
Hi @badandy996

A quick sketch on where I would try my first round of placements for cameras .. ( looks like currently have a couple of cameras on the pillar .. probably good positions so I'd keep those .. as you are on a corner lot you will need more cameras )

ca-house.png

Attachments

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As a phase 2, add some cameras to monitor the street behind your backyard. I can't tell how high your back fence wall is and whether it's climbable. Because the threat can come from that direction.

badandy996

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @badandy996

A quick sketch on where I would try my first round of placements for cameras .. ( looks like currently have a couple of cameras on the pillar .. probably good positions so I'd keep those .. as you are on a corner lot you will need more cameras )

View attachment 177470
Thanks for the suggestion I didn’t think about cameras by the chimney. I figured it would be too close. Appears I would need several additional cameras. What camera would you recommend?

badandy996

n3wb
Reaction score
As a phase 2, add some cameras to monitor the street behind your backyard. I can't tell how high your back fence wall is and whether it's climbable. Because the threat can come from that direction.
I have a few in the backyard. I would like to add a LPR down the road. The fence is probably 8 feet tall. But someone determined could hop it.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I have a few in the backyard. I would like to add a LPR down the road. The fence is probably 8 feet tall. But someone determined could hop it.
in general most folks like the 4MP 1/1.8" varifocal camera you noted in your link .. I'd use that for determining the FOV you want in different places ..

Then get fixed FOV versions of the 4MP 1/1.8" for locations you know what you need ( 3.6mm are for me the most useful in most situations .. only 2.8mm for the front door and other areas where the subject is right in front of the camera )

remember to play around with the placements a bit to ensure you have good ones .. sometimes just moving a camera a couple of feet makes a big difference ..

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion I didn’t think about cameras by the chimney. I figured it would be too close. Appears I would need several additional cameras. What camera would you recommend?
The camera that you linked is the go to Camera for most instances.

Reaction score
Before you run cable and mount cams, use a test rig at your planned locations and walk it day and night. See if it gives you your intended FOV and satisfies the role you have assigned that placement. Make adjustments as needed. Plans change and if they do not, you probably made a mistake.

Here is one way to set up a test rig.

Test Rig.JPG

actran

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
@badandy996 I have both and my preference is 5442 as better overall camera. The extra pixels with 4k is tempting on paper but not as much as a factor in my real world situation.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1 above. And the full color cannot see infrared, so if you don't have enough light or don't want to use the built in white light, then it isn't the right camera.

And the improvements to the 5442 with the S3 model get it darn close to the 4K cameras in terms of low light performance.